Space colonies.

Topics unrelated to the Baha'i Faith
Zazaban

Space colonies.

Postby Zazaban » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:30 am

What do you think? Should we do it now, or wait untill the problems here are taken care of.

I think now. It would help over-population and we'd have a backup world if the earth is hit by a huge meteor or something.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

falErarsekaf

Postby falErarsekaf » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:48 am

Some questions to think about:

(1) How much does it cost to send one person into space, along with everything that person needs to live? Can we expect this cost to be brought down to something feasible for more than a few people?

(2) Medically speaking, will humans even be capable of living in space permanently? For example, consider the fate of the Biosphere II project. And what will the absence of the lunar rhythm do to pregnancy and fetal development?

(3) Where are these colonies to be located? On space stations? On the moon, or Mars? On earth-like planets surrounding other stars? Each option presents somewhat different problems.

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:32 am

I study this every day as a hobby. I can assure you that won't be a problem in the near future. 500 years ago it was hard for Europeans to live in the Americas, and look at the development since.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.

~ Bahá'u'lláh

Return to “Non-Baha'i issues”