Mr. Olympia

Topics unrelated to the Baha'i Faith
Baha'i Warrior

Mr. Olympia

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:14 am

Well, since we can discuss anything here...

Don't know if anyone on this forum followed the 2006 Mr. Olympia, but a pretty significant thing happened...8-time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman lost to so someone else, Jay Cutler. (By the way, for those who don't know Arnold schwarzenegger was himself Mr. Olympia for a while.) These are pics of Ronnie Coleman (who lost). He appeared in a Moses costume:

And the guy who won...(on the right)

...Any thoughts? :shock:

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:22 am

These people just scare me.... :shock:
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:31 am

Zazaban wrote:These people just scare me.... :shock:

lol. And Ronnie Coleman, by the way, is a cop. How'd you like to get pulled over by him? Ha ha ha. It's like Shaq pulling you over, except a foot shorter with the same body weight (off season).

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:49 pm

Richard:

You haven't posted in a few days. Nice to see you back.

You said:

Well BW, there seems to be some evidence here of unbalanced obsessive compulsive physical excess with questions of possible steroids and competitive motives, although Arnold S. is now the Gov. of Calif and he turned out all right.

No argument there. Seeing that they basically live in a gym, it's true to say that they engage in "unbalanced obsessive compulsive" exercise. And you are correct to assume that they take steroids (with HGH injections, and other illicit performance enhancers).

And they shouldn't necessarily be looked upon as role models. I guess you could compare it to anything else, like football. You may enjoy watching the game, but personally many of the players engage in vices that go contrary to our Writings.

In an article written by Shoghi Effendi (when he was a teenager), "The Function of Sports in Life," which can be found here: http://bahai-library.com/?file=shoghieffendi_functions_sports_life, he says "Athletics refresh the body, tranquilize and enlighten the mind, and develop moral character" (p. 29). Also, in his concluding paragraph on the next page, he reiterates "Sports, in general, have led to an important and estimable function in life and will inevitably in future be regarded as the indispensible factor for intellectual and moral growth."

Though, as you rightfully point out, sports, just as anything else good, can be taken to excesses. When sports become the main focus on one's life, and cause one to abandon spirituality, then it can be said their use is excessive. Also it is questionable using certain sports enhancers to obtain a competitive edge over one's athletic peers.

Throughout the earlier ages of any world, competition is essential to progressive civilization. As the evolution of man progresses, co-operation becomes increasingly effective. In advanced civilizations co-operation is more efficient than competition. Early man is stimulated by competition. Early evolution is characterized by the survival of the biologically fit, but later civilizations are the better promoted by intelligent co-operation, understanding fraternity, and spiritual brotherhood.

But there will always be competition. One professor I had stated that in an ideal society, tests would never be given. However, I disagree with that, since tests are the means by which a person proves his competence. Further, the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha really emphasize the importance of tests and hardships in life, both spiritual and material ones. God gives to everyone tests each and every day in order to try them, so as to determine how spiritually worthy, or unworthy, they are.

But in the context of sports, I don't know if competitive ones like football will exist in the future.

What you mean though—I think—is that the sort of competition that is harmful or not conducive to humans will cease to exists as mankind gains greater maturity. For example, competition at the expense of others such as the sort seen in partisan politics.

BritishBahai

Re: Mr. Olympia

Postby BritishBahai » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Baha'i Warrior wrote:...Any thoughts? :shock:

Well, from a woman's point of view, i personally find all those pictures disgusting.

This is what a man's body should look like:
or
any more than this and I find it repulsive.

Even this is too much for me:
While it may have taken him a lot of effort to get an eight-pack, i honestly dont like it. It just looks unnatural.... everythings over-exaggerated
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Return to “Non-Baha'i issues”