What Sports are you Into?

Topics unrelated to the Baha'i Faith
Baha'i Warrior

What Sports are you Into?

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:59 am

Just trying to liven up this part of the forum :D

What sports are you guys into? I think some members of this forum for example are martial artists. Sports/exercise, according to Shoghi Effendi, makes you a more efficient studier and someone who manages time better.

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:02 pm

I'm a fan of soccer myself :D at last someone dusts off the cobwebs in this forum :P
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Zazaban:

Thank you for your post. I see you are a soccer man. To tell you the truth, I played varsity soccer for some high school, but I can confidently say I was the worst player :) . Good times.

Zazaban wrote:I'm a fan of soccer myself :D at last someone dusts off the cobwebs in this forum :P

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:31 pm

Hi Richard:

richard wrote:Great, and interestingly enough, that seems to make it a Baha'i issue that may well be compatible with the following observations about balancing our physical, mental, and spiritual health on our paths to God…

Indeed, 'Abdu'l-Baha, in commenting "possibly...to the Sikhs," states that as Baha'is we must, in every aspect—be it spiritual or physical—be superior to the rest:

O ye, God's loved ones! Experience hath shown how greatly the renouncing of smoking, of intoxicating drink, and of opium, conduceth to health and vigour, to the expansion and keenness of the mind and to bodily strength. There is today a people4 who strictly avoid tobacco, intoxicating liquor and opium. This people is far and away superior to the others, for strength and physical courage, for health, beauty and comeliness. A single one of their men can stand up to ten men of another tribe. This hath proved true of the entire people: that is, member for member, each individual of this community is in every respect superior to the individuals of other communities.

Make ye then a mighty effort, that the purity and sanctity which, above all else, are cherished by `Abdu'l-Bahá, shall distinguish the people of Bahá; that in every kind of excellence the people of God shall surpass all other human beings; that both outwardly and inwardly they shall prove superior to the rest; that for purity, immaculacy, refinement, and the preservation of health, they shall be leaders in the vanguard of those who know. And that by their freedom from enslavement, their knowledge, their self-control, they shall be first among the pure, the free and the wise.

Source: http://bahai-library.com/writings/abdulbaha/swab/129.html.

richard wrote:It is to the mind of perfect poise, housed in a body of clean habits, stabilized neural energies, and balanced chemical function--when the physical, mental, and spiritual powers are in triune harmony of development--that a maximum of light and truth can be imparted with a minimum of temporal danger or risk to the real welfare of such a being. And, by such balanced growth and progress does man advance spiritually, as well as mentally, toward God.

Truer words have never been spoken. Our physical condition can have a strong impact on our spiritual condition. One proof: Baha'u'llah states that if one's clothing is spotted or sullied, then his prayers will not be accepted by God. Also we know from 'Abdu'l-Baha that opium and other drugs such as alcohol kill the body-spirit connection. And also, if one suffers a host of health problems, it is harder for him to focus on his spiritual health, etc., than someone more fortunate. So through exercise, proper diet, etc., we may better realize our full spiritual potential.

richard wrote:BTW, I love hard played games of table tennis and air hockey that make me sweat, and some good games of eight ball or billiards. Also, about 100 years ago when I was in high school I spent three years on the swim team as a free-style sprinter which was hardest during training, but enjoyable at the meets and it really made me feel healthy and helped me experience the benefits that Shoghi Effendi cited. And, as cliché or hokey as it sounds, it really is the process of participating that is more important than any ego concerns over winning or losing! richard

Oh yes, regular walking, a little jogging, and some light weights make me feel, and sleep, much better, and according to some experts the reason is an increase in our endorphins... :D

Good to hear you are leading such a health life, Richard. When I am your age I hope to still be that active.

BTW, try going a bit heavier on the weights. Heavier weights stimulate muscle growth and increased bone density, whereas light ones just provide minimal muscle tone—which isn't to say it's bad. However, always consult your physician :) .You need not dead-lift with 750 lbs. like Franco Columbu (pictured above—actually, there he is dead-lifting low 600s). There do exist some 80 y.o.+ body builders...

—Warrior

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Richard:

You sound like the epitome of health to me. From what you have written so far (in previous posts), I take it that you are at least 60 years of age, maybe in the 70s? In any case, let me tell you—30 lb. alt. D.B. curls is not what I'd consider "light" weights, especially at an advanced age. Your average man cannot complete, with strict form, ten repetitions of 50 lb. D.B. curls, let alone "clean" the weight with sloppy form (if you see a guy in the gym curling 100 lb. D.B.s, chances are his form sucks—Arnold Schwarzenegger himself used lighter weights like 60 lb. D.B.s with many reps). Also, I don't know which presses you exactly were referring to, but shoulder-pressing with such a weight is also formidable.

Keep up the great work, and keep pumping iron. 8)

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:12 pm

The spiritual stuff a side for the moment...I want to tell you Richard how much respect body builders (young men in general too) have for elderly men pumping iron. It is somewhat motivating also to see men advanced in age working out, when many their age are rather immobile and only move when they absolutely have to. Some give up on themselves and say they are too old (i've heard it personally), and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, because if you don't provide your muscles/bones with ample stimulation, they will atrophy quick/lose density, respectively, and lead to a shorter life (or at least quality of life diminishes).

But, like you indicated, there needs to be a proper balance between spirituality and materiality. (I don't know if that's a proper use of the word "materiality." :oops:)

Like the Writings say, everything has to have its proper time and place. Order is very important. Part of the problem with our society is that it gives too much of a priority to things that are not that important, and it also disproportionately focuses on/encourages negative attitudes/behaviors. I can imagine how shocked you, Richard, are at how American society has changed since your were a youth. On the other hand, with someone as insightful such as yourself, you probably saw "it" coming.

Take care,

Warrior

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks for your insightful response once again, Richard. You never fail to provide a more than coherent and intelligent response in your posts.

By the way, by what you've said and based on your profile info, I take it you used to be a nurse. Since it'd be relevant I think, what did you learn from those years of nursing about human beings and spirituality (or the correlation, if any, between an individual's physical health and his level of spiritual interest, etc.)? There is certainly nothing more noble than caring for people, especially in the capacity of a nurse. I think your insights would be very enlightening, especially to Baha'i youth pursuing medical careers.

—Warrior 8)

palatadvor

Postby palatadvor » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:14 am

CARRom - The indoor game - The game of control and concentration.

http://psca.ca.pn/

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:15 am

Hmm...I meant more along the lines of physical activity, but ... it was the U.S.S.R. that made chess into sport I think, so technically some board games (at least chess) can be considered "sports."

sikhsm wrote:CARRom - The indoor game - The game of control and concentration.

http://psca.ca.pn/

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 am

I think the board game that makes you think the most is chess. Chess is a thinking man's sport. There is no comparison. :)

palatadvor

Postby palatadvor » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:11 pm

Man you all wants to say that carrom can be played without mind am i rite :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well carrom also have 20 - 25 countries associated. I am national player of carrom in india and champion of state Punjab too. Carrom is also a game of concentration here you have to think also.

Well a human who dislike the game will pass foul comments here. But as question is there so i answered ma game

Well if u play this game you will find it's very interesting.............But play with full rules and regulations.then this game wil become interesting.

And about outdoor game Volleyball & Kabaddi are my favourite and i participate some local championship also(not street one :lol: :lol: :lol: )

\
Join the forum, discuss on carrom.
Various shot techniques, Rules discussion and many more punts.........

http://carrom.ca.pn/

Also watch

http://psca.ca.pn/ to know more about carrom.

Truth

Re:

Postby Truth » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Baha'i Warrior wrote:One proof: Baha'u'llah states that if one's clothing is spotted or sullied, then his prayers will not be accepted by God.

Yo, can someone verify this with a quote?! If this is true, the majority of my previous prayers has probably been rejected. lol.

p.s. Sorry for rebirthing a really old thread.

p.p.s. Bodybuilding is an awesome sport, and i love it to death, but it's easy to get obsessed and addicted. Something to watch out for. I also love the martial arts, but i think it's been tainted by alcohol and sex. The mixed martial arts is a beautiful thing, but i hate tuning in to watch guys get drunk and yell for blood. A corruption of an art in my opinion. I love the martial arts itself though, and would train for the rest of my life in certain disciplines if i could. I used to also play a lot of basketball, tennis, soccer (i sucked at it, i'm pretty sure i'm the only persian that ever did suck at it), squash, and track and field.

Can't get enough of physical activity! Keeps me sane!
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

brettz9

Re: What Sports are you Into?

Postby brettz9 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi,

Really quick..

God hath enjoined upon you to observe the utmost cleanliness, to the extent of washing what is soiled with dust, let alone with hardened dirt and similar defilement. Fear Him, and be of those who are pure. Should the garb of anyone be visibly sullied, his prayers shall not ascend to God, and the celestial Concourse will turn away from him. Make use of rose-water, and of pure perfume; this, indeed, is that which God hath loved from the beginning that hath no beginning, in order that there may be diffused from you what your Lord, the Incomparable, the All-Wise, desireth.

(Kitab-i-Aqdas, par 76)

Cleave ye unto the cord of refinement with such tenacity as to allow no trace of dirt to be seen upon your garments. Such is the injunction of One Who is sanctified above all refinement. Whoso falleth short of this standard with good reason shall incur no blame. God, verily, is the Forgiving, the Merciful.

(Kitab-i-Aqdas, par 74)

The impact of cleanliness on spirituality (despite it being a physical thing) is discussed in some detail at http://bahai-library.com/writings/abdul ... b/129.html

best wishes,
Brett

Truth

Postby Truth » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:00 am

Hummmmmm, i didn't realize it was THAT important.

Good excuse to go purchase some good cologne then! :D
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:41 am

Baha'u'llah specifically mentioned "pure perfumes". It's not that easy to find in the U.S., but there are some "manly" natural fragrances out there in certain stores...

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Non-Baha'i issues”