Groups: Villagers attack homes of Baha'is in Egypt

Items in the news
onepence~2

Groups: Villagers attack homes of Baha'is in Egypt

Postby onepence~2 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 pm

By MAGGIE MICHAEL – 5 hours ago

CAIRO (AP) — Dozens of Muslim villagers have attacked the homes of members of the minority Baha'i religion in southern Egypt, hurling firebombs and denouncing them as "enemies of God," human rights groups said Thursday.

The attacks began Saturday after a prominent Egyptian media commentator denounced a Baha'i activist in a television appearance as an "apostate" and called for her to be killed.

The Baha'i religion was founded in the 1860s by a Persian nobleman, Baha'u'llah, whom the faithful regard as the most recent in a line of prophets that included Buddha, Abraham, Jesus and Muhammad. Muslims reject the faith because they believe Muhammad was God's final prophet, and Baha'is have been persecuted in the Middle East.

In Egypt, ...

BritishBahai

Re: Groups: Villagers attack homes of Baha'is in Egypt

Postby BritishBahai » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Live footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-iT70e8bU

Absolutely disgusting.
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

onepence~2

Re: Groups: Villagers attack homes of Baha'is in Egypt

Postby onepence~2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Egyptians Face Trial for Incitement Against Baha’is
Written by The Media Line Staff
Published Monday, April 06, 2009

http://www.themedialine.org/news/news_d ... wsID=24762

An Egyptian journalist and a member of parliament from the ruling party are being summoned to court for allegedly inciting against the Baha’i minority in the country.

In a separate development, sectarian tensions flared in the coastal town of Alexandria over the weekend, when Muslims damaged shops under Christian ownership. Security sources said hundreds of Muslims participated in the attack, hurling stones at the shops and destroying them with sticks, according to news reports.

Return to “News”