have a forum for ex Baha'i views so i can avoid it

News, suggestions, corrections
onepence

have a forum for ex Baha'i views so i can avoid it

Postby onepence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Was wondering if we could have a forum for ex Baha'i views.

Would also like a forum for seekers views.

also would like an introduction corner/forum.

also a forum for proven Baha'is in good standing forum
{thus I do not have to read ex-baha'i commentary if I don't want to}

oneness
dh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:12 pm

In light of this quote by the UHJ:

"It is important for all those Bahá'ís who are engaged in the academic study of the Bahá'í Faith to address the theoretical problems which undoubtedly exist, while refusing to be distracted by insidious and unscholarly attacks and calumnies which may periodically be injected into their discussions by the ill-intentioned. Discussion with those who sincerely raise problematic issues, whether they be Bahá'ís or not, and whether—if the latter—they disagree with Bahá'í teachings, can be beneficial and enlightening. However, to continue dialogue with those who have shown a fixed antagonism to the Faith, and have demonstrated their imperviousness to any ideas other than their own, is usually fruitless and, for the Bahá'ís who take part, can be burdensome and even spiritually corrosive."

And in light of others like it, I don't think that would be beneficial. I see why your are proposing this, but I think it'd be encouragement for ex-Baha'is, who are "imperviousness to any ideas other than their own," to lead in "fruitless" and "burdensome and even spiritually corrosive" discussions. I do not think it'd benefit anyone, and I think it'd just encourage more of what is already happening on this site.

That's my opinion anyway :) But I see your reason for the proposition of creating another forum for them.

Best,

BW

onepence

Postby onepence » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:03 pm

BW ... thanks for the input ... it is nice to know that the Universal House of Justice has already noticed this problem and offers the solution of "refusing to be distracted".

I think that the ex Baha'i views are necessary but offer too much distraction to both the seekers and the Baha'is in this current forum set up.

I have no problem with a forum being set up at this site for Ex Baha'is ... actually I think it would be pretty cool ... but I have a real problem with allowing ex Baha'is to post freely upon this site ...

a seperate but equal forum is fine by me ... in fact whomever wants to moderate the forum could even decide if they want currently enrolled Baha'i views posted on their forum or not ... no big deal to me ... but to allow ex Baha'is unrestricted access to a Baha'i Forum is simply unacceptable {to me} ... the Baha'i International Community clearly indicates that certain "conceptions of the nature of reality are irreconcilable with one another and lead in opposite directions"

I think if we allow current policy to stand ... the outcome is very clear ... disunity ...

I think a change in current policy would create a different outcome ...

unity in diversity

dh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 am

onepence wrote:but to allow ex Baha'is unrestricted access to a Baha'i Forum is simply unacceptable {to me} ... the Baha'i International Community clearly indicates that certain "conceptions of the nature of reality are irreconcilable with one another and lead in opposite directions"

I think if we allow current policy to stand ... the outcome is very clear ... disunity ...

I think a change in current policy would create a different outcome ...
(bold added)

Agreed.

Also, many, if not most "ex-Baha'is" come to Baha'i forums specifically for that: to create disunity. (When someone has rejected the beauty of Baha'u'llah's Faith, what else can he do?) Especially after some (long) period of time having been a Baha'i, they aren't really coming to ask innocent questions, though they disguise it that way. They usually ask these "questions" specifically to try to show Baha'is that they are giving the "wrong" answer to their questions and are thus hidebound for being Baha'is and not submitting to their own beliefs. And it becomes all too obvious when they start criticizing Baha'is, calling them names, slandering them, etc. (But I'm sure you already know that having been on this forum for a while.)

Great insight by the way,

—BW

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi, all. I have followed this topic since it was first posted. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm afraid none of us can be in a position to determine who's a Baha'i and who's not, who's "inactive" vs. who's "ex-Baha'i," etc. Plus, I don't want to provide a forum specifically for grievances against the Administrative Order, which an "ex-Baha'i forum" would turn into.

So for now I'll continue to exercise the same criteria as always: I'll only delete posts if they specifically intend to undermine the AO (or otherwise toe the line of covenant-breaking), or if they are expressed with rudeness or profanity, etc. And for the record, other than spam and the occasional "me too" posts (and the occasional short, insulting post from a couple individuals), I rarely delete anything.

Thanks, -Jonah

P.S. To accomodate one active "troublemaker" a few years ago, I did set up an ex-Baha'i bulletin board. I actually don't know if he was ex-Baha'i or disenrolled-Baha'i or had his administrative rights removed -- perhaps he never declared at all. But the forum wasn't very useful and quickly dried up.

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:38 pm

No, then the people who rant and add bias to wikipedia would come here to rant. we don't need a place to harbour covanent breakers and people who think Baha'i is a cult.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

British_Bahai

Re: have a forum for ex Baha'i views so i can avoid it

Postby British_Bahai » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:15 pm

onepence wrote:Was wondering if we could have a forum for ex Baha'i views.

Would also like a forum for seekers views.

also would like an introduction corner/forum.

also a forum for proven Baha'is in good standing forum
{thus I do not have to read ex-baha'i commentary if I don't want to}

oneness
dh

:yes: Jonah, i think that is an EXCELLENT idea!
Would you be able to do one? Is it difficult to do?

If we did have a forum called "introduction to the bahai faith" people would be able to post good passages and give links to good introductory resources.

Masses of people come to this site from all 4 corners of this earth - it honestly is well-known! But right now the 'discussion' forum is a bit confusing and even though i have started a few introductory threads, its difficult for any outsiders to easily identify them amongst the others.

O:) if u say yes, i will even move all the topics myself!!!

Return to “About Baha'i Library”