torrent

News, suggestions, corrections
MontanaDon

torrent

Postby MontanaDon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 am

Is this the best place for this?

While I've used torrents for quite a while, I really don't understand some aspects.

E.g., who is listed as "seeds" and "peers" at any given time? Why I ask is I have seen as many as 2 seeds, tho' it is currently listed as zero, and as many as 50 peers, tho that is currently listed as 10. whoops - 9.

I think it has to do with the torrent server and what it finds when it checks, every half hour (?) to see who's on-line.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Re: torrent

Postby Jonah-admin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:46 am

Hi, Don.

1) I deleted Torrent #2 from the website so there won't be more leechers; the swarm will be limited to just the dozen of us. I need to fix that 1GB duplicate file, and already have a few improvements to make. I'll re-upload Torrent #2 in July. [Edit - on second thought, I think I'll wait till January 2014. My main objective has been met: multiple copies of all data now exist in other hands.]

2) I'll seed this first torrent all month, till everyone has what they need from it. That satisfies my first objective with all this: getting (semi-) complete copies of the dataset in other people's possession.

3) Then, I'll take the next step of registering this torrent with a public tracker. That will, I believe, allow for more reliable swarm reporting.

-J

MontanaDon

Postby MontanaDon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:18 pm

This has been going really slow. until recently DL speed has been generally <2K/sec when available, which was not even every day. The last couple days have been running around 14K/sec and available far more of the time. I suspect availability is based on when Jonah's personal computer is on-line. As I understand it, at 26.3%, I have as much as anybody downloading and it is going to take another 2-3 weeks at this rate to complete. So I think that when the new seed is initiated the first of the year that it needs to be made from the bahai-library server, not from Jonah's computer. I do not have the best connection in the world, but on good nights I can pull 1mg/sec which means I could pull the entire torrent in about 6 hours. At that rate, providing a new torrent every month or two would be practical.

Several years ago I used site-sucker software and got the entire site in a night, tho' didn't keep most of it. That's why I have some out-dated links, Jonah.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Return to “About Baha'i Library”