My private messages go to "Outbox" ... not "Sent Messages"

News, suggestions, corrections
Ahsan_al_Hadees

My private messages go to "Outbox" ... not "Sent Messages"

Postby Ahsan_al_Hadees » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:00 am

Dear Jonah,

I sent you one private message last month and then sent one private message to another member of this forum. Every time my private message is shown in the OUTBOX not in SENT MESSAGES. Is there any problem going on or you have changed the settings? I did not face this problem in May though.

Regards,
Ahsan

BritishBahai

Re: Jonah! What about Private Message?

Postby BritishBahai » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:46 pm

private messages seem to work for me since this forum has upgraded.

Mind you, since the forum upgraded, ive only sent messages and the guy hasnt replied (i dont think hes a regular)
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Ahsan_al_Hadees

Postby Ahsan_al_Hadees » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 am

Dear BritishBahai,

Go to User Panel and then Private Messages. On the left side check if your message appears in OUTBOX then your message was not delivered to that member.

Regards,
Ahsan

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Theyre both in "Sent messages" :smile:
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Ahsan_al_Hadees

Re: My private messages go to "Outbox" ... not "Sent Messages"

Postby Ahsan_al_Hadees » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Dear Brett,

Why my private messages appear in OUTBOX...

is there any special restriction on me only?

Regards,
Ahsan

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:44 am

Do you have a lot of messages in your inbox?

There is this setting in our administrative panel which says this:

"Default action to take if a user’s folder is full assuming the user’s folder action, if set at all, is not applicable. The only exception is for the “Sent messages” folder where the default action is always to delete old messages."

The action for the above is "New messages will be held back". It looks like 100 messages is the max if that is the problem here. Let me know if this doesn't solve it for you.

This is a new forum for us (and the forum software is new too), and it may take some time (and depending on our available time too), for Jonah and I to figure it all out. But hopefully we'll get it working for everybody. We certainly would not be selectively targeting people, (much less someone respectful like yourself), unless they were causing trouble, and in that case (except for spammers who we just block completely), we would give ample warning (or at least indicate what we had done, if there was an extreme case).

best wishes,
Brett

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Mystery solved...

According to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1118365 , a message that is sent SHOULD stay in the outbox until the other person reads it. The reasoning is that the sender still may have a chance to edit the message as long as the recipient hasn't opened the message yet.

So if the messages are in your outbox, it likely means the person hasn't read the message yet. And they may also have turned off email notification, so they might not even know they have messages until they visit this site again.

Also, remember that this software for the forum is new, so there may be some bugs. If we can't get to your question about the forum software in time here, you can try to look at the bugtracker for this forum software (the software is called phpBB (version 3)). You can see all reported bugs at http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/tickets.php and do a search (I found the above bug (actually a feature in this case, not a bug) by searching for "private message outbox").

If you don't find a bug report already (often you probably will though), you can submit a bug report (and it can be very helpful to their project if you do so, assuming you've checked to see that no other bug report has already been filed). And please remember that these people are making free, open source software in their free time, so kindness and patience can go a long way.

all the best,
Brett

Ahsan_al_Hadees

Postby Ahsan_al_Hadees » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:52 am

I see.

Thanks Brett.

Regards,
Ahsan

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Re: My private messages go to "Outbox" ... not "Sent Message

Postby Jonah-admin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:39 am

Just noticed I have an answer to this 3 year-old question. When I was checking the myriad of permissions options for user groups in the forum software, trying to fix another problem, I noticed that "private messages" were disabled for one class of users (new registrants). I re-enabled it.

-Jonah

Return to “About Baha'i Library”