News, suggestions, corrections
Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:50 am

How about adding the option of using an avatar? :?

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:52 pm

Right now we are using a package for the onsite forum...It currently doesn't include avatars...Maybe the next version will have it...There are addons but it is time away from other projects (especially as I see that at least some of them contain additional security issues)...If you took me up on my earlier offer to study PHP and collaborate with us, you could be well on your way to adding the code yourself... :) PHP is REALLY an easy language to get going with... To get a feel for the language, spend a short amount of time looking at http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp (ignoring the installation details for now)...

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm sure PHP is easy but don't have the time to learn it. Maybe I'll try to learn it sometime in the future. Anyway it was just a suggestion, but an avatar is nothing that important. The site is good how it is :)

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure there's an add-on for PHPBB to include avatars, but I personally don't see the value in them.

Also, every time we add something we take a chance on breaking something else -- for example, last year I added a security module to sniff for spam URLs from non-registered posters, which didn't work and so I deleted it, but ever since then, this forum hasn't rendered HTML tags for people who aren't logged in. I'm sure I could trace and fix it, but I gave it a couple hours once and decided that wasn't worth more than that either.

-Jonah

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Sure thing. At first I thought it'd add some individuality but now that you mention that you have had problems as a result of adding new things, I can think of certain abuses of avatars that could potentially be perpetrated, especially by those non compos mentis spam bots.

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:03 pm

How about a post limit for using an avatar? works on other forums. like need 15 posts to use one. would prevent spambots from abusing it.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Return to “About Baha'i Library”