Hypnotherapy

All research or scholarship questions
simon

Hypnotherapy

Postby simon » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:00 am

I have become interested in the practice of hypnotherapy as a possible occupation and way of helping people. I am aware that the writings suggest that hypnotherapy is not effective and borders on an occult practice. Does this mean that this is not a suitable occupation for a Bahai ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:36 am

which writings suggest that?

hypnotherapy is effective and it does not border on the occult (its not in the same universe as the occult!)

I know a Baha'i who is educated in and practices hypnotherapy. He has helped many people overcome fears, phobias, to break bad habits and to generally have a better life.

I would suggest that you take a better look at those 'writings' you mentioned!

:wink:

jdesson

Hypnosis

Postby jdesson » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:02 pm

If thou canst, endeavor to obtain a share of that power." (Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Vol. I, p. 169) Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 288).

On the other hand, this quotation has not been verified, this is, is not part of the authoritative set of authentic Baha'i Writings. Often in 'Abdu’l-Bahá’s travels, people would write down what he said concurrently and translate what he as saying into English with a wide variety of results in accuracy. This quote is one example. So you can draw your own conclusions.

This quotation is of historic interest, but it has no authority nor is part of the authentic Baha'i Writings.

My personal opinion is that obviously the power of god is greater than hypnosis to improve a person, but surely it can still be very useful.
Jim Desson

jdesson

Rest of quote & additional quote on hypnotism

Postby jdesson » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:51 am

Sorry folks. I inadvertently left off part of the quote. Here is is:

976. Hypnotism
"Hypnotism hath a weak influence over bodies, but hath no result, but the power  289  of the kingdom of God is great. If thou canst, endeavor to obtain a share of that power." (Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Vol. I, p. 169) (Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 288)

Again, bear in mind that this quote is of historic interest as words attributed to ‘Abdul-Bahá, but they are not part of the anthenticaed Bahá’í Writings. This is usually the case when there is no copy of the original words in wrtten form.

On the other hand, the quote makes sense to me.

Another quote, this time from Shoghi Effendi, the leader, or rather, Guardian of theBahá’í Faith from 1921 to 1957 when he passed away.
Bahá’í Faith:
977. Auto-Suggestion or Hypnotism
"What comes under the heading of psychic practices "Abdu'l-Bahá has warned us against; but any form of auto-suggestion or hypnotism which is used by medical science and by properly qualified physicians we are free to take advantage of, if we feel that the doctor using such practices is qualified and will not abuse his rights." (From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian of an individual believer, February 15, 1957: Spiritualism and Psychic Phenomena, February 14, 1974, p. 2) (Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 288)
Jim Desson

simon

Hypnotherapy

Postby simon » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:06 pm

Many thanks.
In light of the above views I guess I would conclude that, whilst God is the ultimate answer to all our problems, hypnotherapy and other therapies offer help to people of all backgrounds and beliefs.
As long as the practitioner is qualified and has integrity, it is a service for others' benefit and therefore would not go against the faith ?

brettz9

hypnotherapy

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:28 pm

In case anyone comes across any further references (or wishes to edit my headings), I have categorized the Writings discussed in this thread at:

http://bahai9.com/wiki/Hypnotism

Also, if anyone would like to help build our general collaborative site on medicine, visit http://bahai9.com/wiki/Medicine (and click "edit")

Brett

njoy

Re: Hypnotherapy

Postby njoy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 pm

I've studied hypnotherapy and agree that long term effects are rare. A nice hypnosis tape is useful, for example, to relax and get to sleep but the unconscious mind will, sooner or later,reassert itself, no matter how much we repeat the positive affirmations your conscious mind prefers. Hypnosis is useful for exploring the unconscious, however, to find the roots of what you have been repressing. Then it can be combined with behavioural therapies to make some long term changes. At least, this has been my experience.

While all we deny, repress and suppress some of what we really want, think and believe, hypnosis allows us to act out and speak up. The hypnotist gives us the permission we need to hear the unconscious mind. In the end, as Baha'is we know it is God who heals. Since the only God we will ever know lies deep within us, hypnosis makes sense as a tool for discovering our truth. Once we know it, the way is open to aligning our behaviour with it. So, we proceed through the stages of the soul. I think hypnosis (my favourite at the moment is called Heart-Centered Hypnotherapy) is particularly useful for getting beyond concupiscence to irascibility and possibly even helping with the tests and trials of the Valleys of Love and Knowledge. Beyond that I don't know but suspect not.

njoy

Postby njoy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:52 pm

This link doesn't work: http://www.bahai-library.com/wiki/index.php/Medicine (404 - not found)

Is the project online at any other URL? Sounds very interesting.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:19 am

I've updated the wiki links in my post. These are at:

* http://bahai9.com/wiki/Medicine
* http://bahai9.com/wiki/Hypnotism

Best wishes,
Brett

njoy

Postby njoy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:39 am

Thanks very much, Brett.