Children's prayer

All research or scholarship questions
larry

Children's prayer

Postby larry » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:53 am

Where did the prayer "O God, guide me, protect me, make of me a shining lamp and a brilliant star. Thou art the Mighty and the Powerful" by 'Abdu'l-Bahá come from? Does anyone know where this prayer was originally sourced?
Thank you.

MontanaDon

Re: Children's prayer

Postby MontanaDon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:55 am

The earliest I can find is this - - - -
A Compilation of the Words of Baha'o'llah and Abdul-Baha to assist Parents and Teachers in the Education of Children
Compiled By Pauline A. Hannen
Star of the West Vol IX, #10, September 8, 1918m, p114

It has the prayer and says it is "In Tablet to Mrs. E. C."
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

larry

Re: Children's prayer

Postby larry » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 am

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. Maybe the Tablet to Mrs. E.C. mentioned in Star of the West is Ella Goodall Cooper. It's a guess. Interestingly in the book Some Early Baha’is of the West by O.Z. Whitehead on page 23 it indicates 'Abdu'l-Baha "often revealed for Ella and her mother Tablets of advice, encouragement, and praise." It's a long shot but I wonder if there is a record of tablets to Ella Cooper by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. Anyone familiar with this? Also, does anyone know if the compilation,"A Compilation of the Words of Baha'o'llah and Abdul-Baha to assist Parents and Teachers in the Education of Children by Pauline A. Hannen was published separate from Star of the West? To reiterate the question, I'm looking for the original source of the children's prayer "O God, guide me, protect me, make of me a shining lamp and a brilliant star. Thou art the Mighty and the Powerful."

Return to “Discussion”