Where did "All religions are one" come from?

All research or scholarship questions
jimhabegger

Where did "All religions are one" come from?

Postby jimhabegger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 am

I can't find "all religions are one," in those words, in any authoritative writings. Does anyone know when and how Baha'is started saying that, in those words?

suzanne2019

Re: Where did "All religions are one" come from?

Postby suzanne2019 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 am

Hi Jim,

I agree that nowhere in the Writings does it say all religions are one in those words. They say things like the "foundations" are one.

When you ask when Baha'is began saying that, do you mean just Baha'is individually, or officially? If you mean officially, do you have any examples? When I do a Google search for "all religions are one" what comes up is something written by William Blake in 1788. Not anything from the Baha'i Faith.

Suzanne

MontanaDon

Re: Where did "All religions are one" come from?

Postby MontanaDon » Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 am

From Mahmud's Diary
Friday, November 22, 1912
[New York]
The Master spent the morning until noon at His residence. In the afternoon He went to a gathering at the home of Mrs Krug. The meeting with such eager friends was very enjoyable. A feature of the afternoon was the visit from a Christian minister. He was a just and fair-minded man who visited with the Master before the meeting in a separate room. His first question to the Master was, `What are the new teachings in this Cause?' The Master replied, `The fundamental principles of all religions are one. They are unchangeable and do not differ. This is what Christ meant when He said, "I am not come to destroy the law of the Torah but to promote it."'

Mary Hanford Ford uses the phrase in an article in SOTW Vol 16 #10 p699, Jan 1926.

I find a number of listings of the Baha'i principles in the 30s which include "All religions are one in their fundamental principles." The 30s appears to be when it became popular.
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Return to “Discussion”