What do Baha'is say about Exodus & 40 years wandering

All research or scholarship questions
jenniferatemple

What do Baha'is say about Exodus & 40 years wandering

Postby jenniferatemple » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:27 pm

There really is not much of evidence for the Moses story. I would like to find a Baha'i view. There seems to be lot of historical data in the OT Bible that simply proves incorrect in the science. How do we reconcile these stories with the Baha'i Faith?

MontanaDon

Re: What do Baha'is say about Exodus & 40 years wandering

Postby MontanaDon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:15 pm

I don't think you'll find a satisfactory answer.
IMO, most of the history in the Bible needs to be understood as myth in a technical sense. They are stories with some factual basis but in which the point of the story is more important than factual accuracy, stories that tell who a people are, where they came from, where they're going and how they'll get there.

As a result, they are true but not necessary factually accurate. It is a modern concept that truth is dependent on factual accuracy. It is the insistence that it is that has resulted in fundamentalists insisting on Scriptural inerrancy.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

jenniferatemple

Re: What do Baha'is say about Exodus & 40 years wandering

Postby jenniferatemple » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 pm

MontanaDon wrote:I don't think you'll find a satisfactory answer.
They are stories with some factual basis but in which the point of the story is more important than factual accuracy, stories that tell who a people are, where they came from, where they're going and how they'll get there. As a result, they are true but not necessary factually accurate.

Don C

Thank You Don, your answer was, indeed, very satisfactory and much the conclusion I'd come to but you your answer was more concise than I could have come up with. I needed the answer for a friend who is very much a non-religious fundamentalist.

Return to “Discussion”