Ocean

All research or scholarship questions
jenniferatemple

Ocean

Postby jenniferatemple » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Can anyone supply me with a working link to Ocean download. I'm on a new computer and lost Ocean in the transition. The link I have is not functioning.

MontanaDon

Re: Ocean

Postby MontanaDon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm not sure this is going to be available again for a while. There were some problems w/ some of the material that was being included.

I suggest you download Archive, a Mac oriented system.
http://www.schoolmarmwood.org/Home_files/ARCHIVE.zip

Unzip it and save the various data files to a directory. This will give you much of the same material available in Ocean. Windows users can dump the mac app "Archive". There are ePub files included.

Download DocFetcher, an Open Source desktop search application based on the server oriented Apache Lucene.
http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/download.html
Unzip and run it to index the directory with your Baha'i files. It may take a while to generate the initial index, but then any time you add a file to the directory, it is automatically indexed and made available to search. Once indexed, searching is really fast. I have over 10,000 files of various types totaling over 20 gig. Typically, a search takes only a few seconds on a 3 year old entry level MacBook Pro.

IMO, DocFetcher is superior to both Ocean and Archive, esp for very large databases. It allows you to add common word processing files to the existing database plus html and pdf without modification. This means, for instance, you can add the available searchable pdf files of SOTW and Baha'i News for searching.

If you are going to have a large database, I suggest you set up sub-directories for specific searching, such as Scripture, Shoghi Effendi, House of Justice, Compilations, Pilgrims Notes etc.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Thanks, I didn't realize this app had been pulled. Last I heard, I thought the creator of it had removed the infringing material and made it available again, guess I was wrong. But all of Ocean's content should be at bahai-library.com, save the books still available for purchase from George Ronald et al., like Balyuzi, Taherzadeh, Gail, Nakhjavani, and Giachery (and a few works by less-prolific authors). Let me know if there's anything specific you're looking for.

MontanaDon

Postby MontanaDon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm

He did, Jonah, and then it disappeared again, in late spring or early summer.

BTW, there are several other implementations of the Lucene engine for Windows machines, at a variety of costs, as well as DevonThink for Macs.

Ocean and Archive share a different engine.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

armchairscholar

Postby armchairscholar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 am

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Good find, thanks! Yes, I see working links to both the Mac and Windows versions. Chad must have overlooked this page ...

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Does anyone know the reason why he removed the download link from his website?
I need to download it onto my Mac but am worried in case if this is a dodgy version

Muchas gracias :computer: :-)
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm sure it's not dodgy, and had no problems with this Mac version.

He probably removed the link because of too many copyright issues.

jenniferatemple

Thank You for Ocean link!

Postby jenniferatemple » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:12 pm

I now have it back and I was addicted to Ocean! ... Still am! I must use it several times a week and always for quotes in our community news.

Return to “Discussion”