Philosopher's Stone - Reddish Egg (al bayat al-shaqrā)

All research or scholarship questions
paula

Philosopher's Stone - Reddish Egg (al bayat al-shaqrā)

Postby paula » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I was reading Steve Lambden's translation of a Tablet of Baha'u'llah in answer to questions about the Philosopher's Stone. In this Tablet there is one instance where the Philosopher's Stone is referred to as the "reddish egg" (al-bayat al-shaqrā). Does anyone know the background on the concept of the "reddish egg"? Alchemy? Sufi? Persian literature? Islam? I simply can't find anything.

iranpour

Re: Philosopher's Stone - Reddish Egg (al bayat al-shaqrā)

Postby iranpour » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Paula wrote on Feb 2, 2013:
I was reading Steve Lambden's translation of a Tablet of Baha'u'llah in answer to questions about the Philosopher's Stone. In this Tablet there is one instance where the Philosopher's Stone is referred to as the "reddish egg" (al-bayat al-shaqrā). Does anyone know the background on the concept of the "reddish egg"? Alchemy? Sufi? Persian literature? Islam? I simply can't find anything.

Hello paula
I think the answer to your question is that the “EGYPTIAN ALCHEMISTS” who tried for the first time to make gold by painting the surface of “LEAD” with “EGG YOLK” so that it appeared yellowish red which in Arabic is called “AL-BAYADU’SH-SHAQRA’” (The reddish or blondish egg). (Shaqra in Arabic is blondness, redness).

The first people to experiment with science were the EGYPTIANS AND BABYLONIANS (they were in a part of the ancient Iraq), who applied their skills in a practical manner to make Elixir which supposed to prolong life and acted as a catalyst capable of improving or in another word transmuting any substance that it came in contact with. The Philosopher's Stone or THE PHILOSOPHICAL ALCHEMICAL EGG which is OVUM PHILOSOPHICUM in Latin supposed to CHANGE LEAD INTO GOLD and change an ORDINARY PERSON INTO AN ENLIGHTENED MASTER.

Although the above mentioned nations made many innovations, such as the refinement of metal ores and in the applications of dyes, little real science had been done.

The EGYPTIAN ALCHEMISTS ONCE ATTEMPTED TO MAKE GOLD BY PAINTING THE SURFACE OF LEAD WITH EGG YOLK, SO THAT IT APPEARED YELLOWISH RED. It was for this reason that the Philosopher’s Stone or ELIXIR was called the REDDISH EGG.

The usage of EGG in alchemy is because as the principal VESSEL USED IN ALCHEMICAL OPERATIONS during the alchemical process, the material, HERMETICALLY SEALED IN THE EGG, is put through a symbolic death and rebirth. When the Egg was cracked, a new mystical substance emerged which was an elixir.

paula

Postby paula » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 am

Dear iranpour,

Thank you so much!
Because of your most informative post I'm able to move forward in my research.

With most sincere appreciation,
Paula

iranpour

Postby iranpour » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Hello paula
You are more than welcome and good luck for your reseach. :thumbs:

Return to “Discussion”