Postby onepence » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:01 pm

someone asked me

where were we before we were born?

i do not have a ready answer for this question

does anyone?

Fadl

Re: where were we before we were born?

Postby Fadl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Before we were born, most all of us, were in the womb of our mother, but I get the feeling this isn't what you meant.

Perhaps you meant to ask where we were before our conception. If so, according to Baha'i beliefs, the soul of the individual comes into existence at the moment of conception. That means that before that we were nowhere since we did not yet exist.
"Thus doth the Nightingale utter His call unto you from this prison. He hath but to deliver this clear message. Whosoever desireth, let him turn aside from this counsel and whosoever desireth let him choose the path to his Lord." - Baha'u'llah

larry

Postby larry » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Quoting an excerpt, page 298, from the book Towards the Summit of Reality by Julio Savi:
"The Baha'i Writings teach that only the Manifestation of God is pre-existent, in the sense that His spiritual reality is pre-existent to the birth of His body. Each human soul is created ex novo at the same time as the body is conceived to which that soul will be related during its earthly life (see 'Abdu'l-Baha, SAQ 151-2, ch.38). Therefore the Baha'i concept of pre-existence denotes the human capacity to develop those spiritual qualities which God bestowed upon human beings when He created them, as a potentiality to be actualized."
Last edited by BritishBahai on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo: Changing 'eartly life' into 'earthly life'

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Interesting quote, larry. Thanks for that. :thumbs:
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Return to “Discussion”