writing Allah in persian

All research or scholarship questions
onepence~2

writing Allah in persian

Postby onepence~2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:15 am

I am interested in learning to write Allah in persian .

I would also like to write Allah'u'Abha in persian .

Is there a image on the web of these two words/phrases ?

thanks

a person of oneness,

Dean Hedges

o ... i guess the correct word is in Farsi ... thanks

AdibM

Re: writing Allah in persian

Postby AdibM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:13 am

Hi Dean,

This is Allah:

الله

And this is Allah'u'Abha:

الله ابهی
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

onepence~2

Postby onepence~2 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:06 am

thank you.

I will work on them.

thank you again

dh

Jamal

Postby Jamal » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Allah'u'Abha

Although Farsi is immensely rich in Arabic vocabulary and phrases; however, the fact is that the words Allah and Allah'u'Abha are Arabic.
Another point worth mentioning is Allah'u'Abha actually signifies God's grandeur and supremacy over all His creation including His messengers. If for a moment Baha'is considered Baha'u'llah as God (God forbid!) the Arabic term Allah'u'Abha quite simply wakes us up from our deep slumber and constantly reminds us that God is the most glorious, far above anyone or anything of His creatures that deservedly or underservedly claim grandeur. To those who are not familiar with Arabic, Abha is the superlative of Baha, therefore if Baha'u'llah means the glory of God, then Allah'u'Abha means God is the most glorious (far above anyone or anything of His creatures that deservedly or underservedly claim grandeur). This is a point worth mulling over and meditating lest we stray from the right path. As Baha'is, it is incumbent upon us to be objective and judicious in properly and carefully translating Arabic to any other language.

Allah'u'Abha

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:50 am

Hello and welcome Jamal,

Sorry for the delayed approval of your post! Just found there was a little bit of a backlog...

That is an interesting interpretation of the phrase...

While on the one hand, our Writings do very much state texts in the vein you mention:

To say that God is a personal Reality does not mean that He has a physical form, or does in any way resemble a human being. To entertain such belief would be sheer blasphemy."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, April 21, 1939; Lights of Guidance, p. 477)

The divinity attributed to so great a Being and the complete incarnation of the names and attributes of God in so exalted a Person should, under no circumstances, be misconceived or misinterpreted. The human temple that has been made the vehicle of so overpowering a Revelation must, if we be faithful to the tenets of our Faith, ever remain entirely distinguished from that "innermost Spirit of Spirits" and "eternal Essence of Essences"--that invisible yet rational God Who, however much we extol the divinity of His Manifestations on earth, can in no wise incarnate His infinite, His unknowable, His incorruptible and all-embracing Reality in the concrete and limited frame of a mortal being. Indeed, the God Who could so incarnate His own reality would, in the light of the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh, cease immediately to be God. So crude and fantastic a theory of Divine incarnation is as removed from, and incompatible with, the essentials of Bahá'í belief as are the no less inadmissible pantheistic and anthropomorphic conceptions of God--both of which the utterances of Bahá'u'lláh emphatically repudiate and the fallacy of which they expose.

(Shoghi Effendi, World Order of Baha'u'llah, pp. 112-113)

...I think that there also quotations which could interpret "God is the Most Glorious" as stating that God--as far as we are able to discern His will--is represented by Baha'u'llah (the Glory of God). In fact, Baha'u'llah implies that this is one of the meanings of the Unity of God:

The essence of belief in Divine unity consisteth in regarding Him Who is the Manifestation of God and Him Who is the invisible, the inaccessible, the unknowable Essence as one and the same. By this is meant that whatever pertaineth to the former, all His acts and doings, whatever He ordaineth or forbiddeth, should be considered, in all their aspects, and under all circumstances, and without any reservation, as identical with the Will of God Himself. This is the loftiest station to which a true believer in the unity of God can ever hope to attain. Blessed is the man that reacheth this station, and is of them that are steadfast in their belief.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings, LXXXIV)

...even while admitting that another meaning is that He in His Essence is exalted above all things:

Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures. This is the true meaning of Divine unity.

(Baha'u'llah,Gleanings, LXXXIV)

"He is a true believer in Divine unity who, far from confusing duality with oneness, refuseth to allow any notion of multiplicity to becloud his conception of the singleness of God, who will regard the Divine Being as One Who, by His very nature, transcendeth the limitations of numbers."

(Baha'u'llah,Gleanings, LXXXIV)

I think that it is more plausible that "Most Glorious" refers to the Unknowable Essence, as you suggest, but I think one could also make a case that it could also be interpreted as having the additional meaning of indicating that the highest embodiment of Glory in this world is Baha'u'llah.

Just my two cents...

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”