Satan

All research or scholarship questions
onepence~2

Satan

Postby onepence~2 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:37 am

I thought i would start a new thread on Satan.

See what we think about the subject

I kinda have always thought of Satan as a real fallen angel ...

lucifer ... yes ... ???

but ... as i have learned of Baha'u'llah ... i think my views of Satan have changed somewhat ,,,

i still think of satan as described ... but i also think Baha'u'lah has triumphed over this dark enity

and this triumph is so complete that there is no room for satan upon the earthly plain ....
thus satan no longer exists

lol

anyway ... such are my thoughts ... i could be totally mistaken ...

was wondering what other people thought of satan

????

BruceDLimber

Re: Satan

Postby BruceDLimber » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:04 pm

I presume you've already seen my remark about how the word refers to our own lower nature (if we give it control)?

Regards,

Bruce

Highmountain

Postby Highmountain » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:03 am

Morning,

The idea that there was another persona (Satan) who was could oppose God and thwart his plans always seemed farcical to me (just my opinion). I picture him in his secret lair (A.K.A.: Lake of FIRE!! MUAHAH!!) hatching new schemes to steal souls from God....

That idea totally negates the greatness of God, the all knowing, the all powerful...to me anyways.

Yet in the writings there are references to the "Evil One". I feel, and I could be way off here, that it's a reference to the duality of man's nature ie: animal/spiritual. It'll be interesting to read what others feel.

Peace,

HM

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:15 am

"...the duality of man's nature ie: animal/spiritual."

Highmountain; I think Satanic refers to those acts in which we choose to follow the dictates
of the animal nature instead of the wisdom and love of the spiritual nature. This is particularly
the case when a person willfully breaks a law of God because his animal nature tells him it is
the best thing to do.

Now, the animal nature is also good, but less so than the spiritual. Why? Because the human
spirit contains everything, including the animal degree. That is why the human spirit is called
the 'general reality'. The other degrees, such as mineral, vegetable and animal, are fractions
of that spectrum.

So, the human spirit, when guided and inspired by the Manifestations of God, is integrative.
It coordinates all the kingdoms of reality and brings about actions which are most purposeful.
If it does not choose in favour of the animal drives, this is for a good reason, whether or not
this is understood in the moment.

-Peter

Highmountain

Postby Highmountain » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:21 pm

I couldn't have said any clearer than you just did, thanks Peter.

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 pm

thank you, Highmountain, for your encouragement. I understand things better through
consultation and the exchange of posts on these forums. Also, I love the deepenings with
Baha'is and their friends over the years. If only schools were this interesting and collaborative.

I became a Baha'i in 1971, here in Canada. It was a time when many youth discovered the Faith.
We were nurtured by the older believers who arranged all kinds of events for us, including dances,
summer schools and the like. Many Canadian youth, at that time, were idealistic and avid seekers
of truth. I would love to see such waves of spiritual attraction again. No doubt, it is happening now
in many parts of the globe.

love; Peter

Return to “Discussion”