Idiots guide to bahai?

All research or scholarship questions
SpiritualSeeker

Idiots guide to bahai?

Postby SpiritualSeeker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Hello,

I am seeking to read simple articles or works or books that can explain bahai and perhaps introduce me to writings of baha'ullah, without being too confusing. Sometimes I feel i try to read about death, the soul, angels, devils from bahai perspective and I just get a headache.

Please point me in the right direction :)
Live your daily life in a way that you never lose yourself. When you are carried away with your worries, fears, cravings, anger, and desire, you run away from yourself and you lose yourself. The practice is always to go back to oneself.Thich Nhat Hanh

onepence~2

Re: Idiots guide to bahai?

Postby onepence~2 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era

Author: J. E. Esslemont

Pages: 286

send a private message to me and I can mail you a hard copy

the book is also online

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/je/BNE/

scan through the contents page ... very illuminating ...

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:14 am

Besides Onepence's excellent (and officially recommended) suggestion, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah covers in excerpt form. The introduction to the book describes sections 70 to 99 as being about the soul (if that's what you want to focus on) (though this categorization may only be approximate). But the style of English used in the translations of Baha'u'llah may need a little getting used to, though I think you will enjoy it thoroughly once you have. However, a light but meaningful introduction such as in "Baha'u'llah and the New Era" is a great beginning, especially since you may especially be interested in getting a good overview first before going too in depth.

Also, if you are open to meeting other Baha'is, we should recommend going through a training institute course in your locality. You can study a sequence of Baha'i courses with others (and in turn be better prepared to help others if you come to accept the Faith, as you are welcome at any time to do).

all the best,
Brett

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi, Seeker! :-)

Two more book suggestions for you:

The Hidden Words, by Baha'u'llah: this is a relatively short book of poetic religious teachings.

Some Answered Questions, by 'Abdu'l-Baha (Baha'u'llah's son and appointed successor/interpreter): this has straightforward, modern-English discussions on many different topics.

You can find these (and much more!) online at: http://www.bahai-library.org and http://www.research.bahai.org

Regards, and good hunting! :-)

Bruce

SpiritualSeeker

Postby SpiritualSeeker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

Well today i got Baha'ullah and the new era and also The Hidden words :) A nice bahai lady gave me them. Also I had good discussion with onepence. I learned a lot of interesting things. Now I have more material to read and look into. Wish me the best I wish you all the best :)
Live your daily life in a way that you never lose yourself. When you are carried away with your worries, fears, cravings, anger, and desire, you run away from yourself and you lose yourself. The practice is always to go back to oneself.Thich Nhat Hanh

onepence~2

Postby onepence~2 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:26 am

Hi SpiritualSeeker

it is a small world after all ...

if you ever need anything ...

dh

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 am

OK, Seeker. Please keep us posted! :-)

Bruce

onepence~2

Postby onepence~2 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:52 am

Hi SpiritualSeeker

*smile*

ran across an article you might be interested in

Bahá’u’lláh as fulfilment of the theophanic promise in the Sermons of Imam 'Alí ibn Abí Ṭálib: Translation of al Ṭutunjiyya, Iftikhár and Ma'rifat bin-Nurániyyat.

hmmm ... haven't had a chance to review it, but it sounds impressive

http://oj.bahaistudies.net/

Return to “Discussion”