Exercise

All research or scholarship questions

Exercise

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 8:40 am

Hello,

Are Baha'i encouraged to exercise? If so, would yoga be an acceptable form of exercise?

I am mostly interested to read the passages from the Authoritative Writings, if they exist. Would anyone reading this be familiar if there are any Authoritative Writings regarding this subject?

Thank you with much appreciation.

Hasan

Postby Hasan » Sun May 29, 2005 9:41 am

This says Bahá'u'lláh in His Lawh-i-Tibb (provisional trans.) http://bahai-library.com/?file=bahaulla ... _anonymous

Exercise is good when the stomach is empty; it strengthens the muscles. When the stomach is full, exercise is very bad.

Bah "Lawh-i-Tibb".

There are other quotes in Light of Guidance, it is good to remember that the Manifestation is the Universal Educator of mankind in all aspects, spiritual, physical, society, moral, material or science, etc.

For the mind to manifest itself, the human body must be whole; and a sound mind cannot be but in a sound body, whereas the soul dependeth not upon the body.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 337)

E. Physical Education

997. Material Education

"...education is of three kinds: material, human and spiritual. Material education is concerned with the progress and development of the body, through gaining its sustenance, its material comfort and ease."

('Abdu'l-Bahá: Some Answered Questions, 1981 ed., p.8)

998. The Essentiality of Taking Proper Care of Child From the Early Days of His Life

" Unless the child, in his earliest years, be carefully tended, whether in a material or a spiritual sense, whether as to his physical health or his education, it will prove extremely difficult to effect later on. For example, if a child is not properly cared for in the beginning of life, so that he doth not develop a sound body and his constitution doth not flourish as it ought, his body will remain feeble, and whatever is done afterward will take little effect. This matter of protecting the health of the child is essential, for sound health leadeth to insights and sense perceptions, and then the child, as he learneth sciences, arts, skills, and the civilities of life, will duly develop his powers..."

(From a previously untranslated Tablet by 'Abdu'l-Bahá)

999. Give Them Advantage of Every Useful Kind of Knowledge

"While the children are yet in their infancy feed them from the breast of heavenly grace, foster them in the cradle of all excellence, rear them in the embrace of bounty. Give them the advantage of every useful kind of knowledge. Let them 294 share in every new and rare and wondrous craft and art. Bring them up to strive, and accustom them to hardship."

('Abdu'l-Bahá: Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, 1982 ed.,p. 129)

1000. Training and Development of Physical Body Ensures Strength and Growth

"... education is of various kinds. There is a training and development of the physical body which ensures strength and growth."

('Abdu'l-Bahá: The Promulgation of Universal Peace. p. 330)

1001. There Should be a Program for the Development of Youth All Over the World

"...Bahá'u'lláh considered education as one of the most fundamental factors of a true civilization. This education, however, in order to be adequate and fruitful, should be comprehensive in nature and should take into consideration not only the physical and the intellectual side of man but also his spiritual and ethical aspects. This should be the program of the Bahá'í youth all over the world."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, July 9, 1931)

1002. Playing Games

"Playing games is not in least forbidden. It should in fact be encouraged if they are of an athletic nature."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to a National Spiritual Assembly, December 27, 1932)

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 294)

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Thank you Hasan. I appreciate your time. This information is helpful.

brettz9

Re: Exercise

Postby brettz9 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Return to “Discussion”