Info on Potency of long Healing Prayer

All research or scholarship questions
Truth

Info on Potency of long Healing Prayer

Postby Truth » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Does anyone here know where i can find detailed info on the potency of the long healing prayer?
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

brettz9

Re: Info on Potency of long Healing Prayer

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 am

Here ya go...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2014

Brett

Truth

Postby Truth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks Brett. I was hoping for something with much more detail such as some of the info that's available on the Tablet of Ahmad. From that info though, I'm assuming there isn't too much info available on it. I guess you could say that excerpt the UHJ quoted pretty much describes it potency, making it fairly self explanatory.
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

pilgrimbrent

Postby pilgrimbrent » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 pm

This is the only thing I know of, and I'm not sure if Baha'u'llah was directing the Master to say the Long Healing Prayer or a verse from it or only the Name of God the Healer.
Brent

Shaykh Sadiq-i-Yazdi

Another of those who emigrated to Baghdad was Shaykh Sadiq of Yazd, a man esteemed, and righteous as his name, Sadiq.[1] He was a towering palm in the groves of Heaven, a star flaming in the skies of the love of God.
[1 This word has a number of meanings, including truthful, loyal and just.]

It was during the Iraq period that he hastened to the presence of Bahá'u'lláh. His detachment from the things of this world and his attachment to the life of the spirit are indescribable. He was love embodied, tenderness personified. Day and night, he commemorated God. Utterly unconscious of this world and all that is therein, he dwelt continually on God, remaining submerged in supplications and prayers. Most of the time, tears poured from his eyes. The Blessed Beauty singled him out for special favor, and whenever He turned His attention toward Sadiq, His loving-kindness was clear to see.

On a certain day they brought word that Sadiq was at the point of death. I went to his bedside and found him breathing his last. He was suffering from ileus, an abdominal pain and swelling. I hurried to Bahá'u'lláh and described his condition. "Go," He said. "Place your hand on the distended area and speak the words: 'O Thou the Healer!'"[1]
[1 Ya Shafi. ]

I went back. I saw that the affected part had swollen up to the size of an apple; it was hard as stone, in constant motion, twisting, and coiling about itself like a snake. I placed my hand upon it; I turned toward God and, humbly beseeching Him, I repeated the words, "O Thou the Healer!" Instantly the sick man rose up. The ileus vanished; the swelling was carried off.

This personified spirit lived contentedly in Iraq until the day when Bahá'u'lláh's convoy wended its way out of Baghdad. As bidden, Sadiq remained behind in that city. But his longing beat so passionately within him that after the arrival of Bahá'u'lláh at Mosul, he could endure the separation no more. Shoeless, hatless, he ran out alongside the courier going to Mosul; ran and ran until, on that barren plain, with mercy all about him, he fell to his rest.

May God give him to drink from "a wine cup tempered at the camphor fountain,"[1] and send down crystal waters on his grave; may God perfume his dust in that desert place with musk, and cause to descend there range on range of light.
[1 Qur'án 76:5.]
(Abdu'l-Baha, Memorials of the Faithful, p. 42)

dan2019

Postby dan2019 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm

A somewhat different telling of (what I believe is) the same story is found in volume 1 of Adib Taherzadeh's The Revelation of Baha'u'llah on page 290. Note: It seems the episode related above occurred while Baha'u'llah was in Baghdad, and--as far as we know--Baha'u'llah didn't reveal the Long Healing Prayer until He was in Akka, so it may have just been a repeated single line that would later become part of the Long Healing Prayer that Baha'u'llah prescribed to heal this man.

Return to “Discussion”