NEW forum now online!

All research or scholarship questions
Jonah
Site Admin

NEW forum now online!

Postby Jonah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Bear with us as we work on the template. I know it's ugly at the moment.

Any problems, suggestions, or whatever? Post them here.

-Jonah

richard

Re: NEW forum now online!

Postby richard » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:10 am

Jonah wrote:Bear with us as we work on the template. I know it's ugly at the moment.

Any problems, suggestions, or whatever? Post them here.

-Jonah

Well, that was a trip. !5 minutes ago i couldn't find the site, but made a lucky guess and here i am... So far see no problems, only reasons for hope, particularly if the phpbb provides the level of security you need to function in a more peaceful environment.

Indeed, Jonah, the work you see ahead may make it seem "ugly,"
but you may well have a diamond in the rough which should encourage you to do the template work needed with justifiable optimism.

All the best to you in your new cyber-surroundings... richard :D

brettz9

Re: NEW forum now online!

Postby brettz9 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:32 am

Now this is some fine news!!

When making a post, you should notice some buttons which insert code to search some text at the site ("search") or to create a link to Wikipedia. I'd like to make some buttons, if it is ok with Jonah, to allow people to easily make a link back to the Writings. For example, we might have a button/code like

Code: Select all

[kap]25[/kap]
which would make a link to paragraph 25 of the Kitab-i-Aqdas. We could even make shortcuts such that abbreviations like the above could be expanded into "(Baha'u'llah, Kitab-i-Aqdas, par. 25)" or the like. If I can get our text browser going again, we could actually allow insertion of the text itself. We might use the abbreviations at http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?file=abbreviations

We could also use some techniques to be able to allow a link to search for terms within a particular book (e.g., to make a link which would provide context for all instances of "prayer" in the Aqdas).

All of the above is not only handy for saving time when preparing posts (and conveniently letting your readers be able to verify for themselves a passage cited), but you can also use it when previewing a post before submission to temporarily follow the link you created to see the context of the link yourself.

The question is, which format(s) to use, and whether other people would find this helpful. We obviously don't want to fill up the post page with buttons (though thankfully, we can decide which codes do not need to be made into buttons). You can also let me know if you think of any other helpful shortcuts (we can actually have these buttons/code provide any HTML replacement text we want!).

all the best,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”