Must a BAHA'I be a member of the Administrative Order?

All research or scholarship questions
hugobjzq

Must a BAHA'I be a member of the Administrative Order?

Postby hugobjzq » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:45 pm

There were Baha'is "before" the Administrative Order was formed. There is "nothing" in the writings or in the letters of Shoghi Effendi that says a Baha'i must be a member of the Administrative Order. NOTHING.

To call a person "a non-bahai" because they are NOT a member of the AO is against all Baha'i principles.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:25 pm

The fact that the Administration started to crystallize as time went on, does not mean that it was not always intended for Baha'is to be a part of it:
It should be remembered by every follower of the Cause that the system of Bahá'í administration is not an innovation imposed arbitrarily upon the Bahá'ís of the world since the Master's passing, but derives its authority from the Will and Testament of `Abdu'l-Bahá, is specifically prescribed in unnumbered Tablets, and rests in some of its essential features upon the explicit provisions of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas. It thus unifies and correlates the principles separately laid down by Bahá'u'lláh and `Abdu'l-Bahá, and is indissolubly bound with the essential verities of the Faith. To dissociate the administrative principles of the Cause from the purely spiritual and humanitarian teachings would be tantamount to a mutilation of the body of the Cause, a separation that can only result in the disintegration of its component parts, and the extinction of the Faith itself.

(Shoghi Effendi, World Order of Baha'u'llah, 5)

The Baha'i Writings urge us to put into practice the administration and to not criticize their decisions or leaders:

"The Guardian believes that a great deal of the difficulties from which the believers ... feel themselves to be suffering are caused by their neither correctly understanding nor putting into practice the administration. They seem--many of them--to be prone to continually challenging and criticizing the decisions of their Assemblies. If the Bahá'ís undermine the very leaders which are, however immaturely, seeking to coordinate Bahá'í activities and administer Bahá'í affairs, if they continually criticize their acts and challenge or belittle their decisions, they not only prevent any real rapid progress in the Faith's development from taking place, but they repel outsiders who quite rightly may ask how we ever expect to unite the whole world when we are so disunited among ourselves!"

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, October 26, 1943: Ibid., pp. 34-35)

Besides the first passage above, which besides being quite adamant, in the context of the many passages emphasizing the importance of the Administration, there are such passages as the following (note: one cannot be an elector unless one is a member of the community):

"Bahá'í community life thus makes it a duty for every loyal and faithful believer to become an intelligent, well-informed and responsible elector..."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, February 4, 1935)

"It can therefore be seen that it is the duty of every Bahá'í in such a situation to take part in the joint declaration...."

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of New Zealand, October 12, 1969)

His brotherly advice to you, and to all loyal and ardent young believers like you, is that you should deepen your knowledge of the history and of the tenets of the Faith, not merely by means of careful and thorough study, but also through active, whole-hearted and continued participation in all the activities, whether administrative or otherwise, of your community. The Bahá'í community life provides you with an indispensable laboratory, where you can translate into living and constructive action the principles which you imbibe from the Teachings. By becoming a real part of that living organism you can catch the real spirit which runs throughout the Bahá'í Teachings. To study the principles, and to try to live according to them, are, therefore, the two essential mediums through which you can ensure the development and progress of your inner spiritual life and of your outer existence as well. May Bahá'u'lláh enable you to attain this high station, and may He keep the torch of faith for ever burning in your heart!

(On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, 2 November 1933 to an individual believer)

One can claim to be a Baha'i without joining the Administrative Order, but our Writings are quite clear about what that should entail.

warm regards,
Brett

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Greetings again,

Just wanted to let those interested know that we have this letter now online: http://bahai-library.com/file.php5?file ... nguage=All

This is, I feel, an extremely important letter from the House and impinges quite a bit on this document and hope others may read and we can discuss it.

all the best,
Brett

hugobjzq

Brett has not proven his point

Postby hugobjzq » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:16 pm

If you are trying to convince me that "NO, a Baha'i cannot be outside the AO" I'm afraid it has not worked.

The quotes from Shoghi Effendi say that members of the AO must be obedient to the AO, and I agree. For example, soldiers in the Army must be obedient to their officers, but do all Americans need to be in the Army in order to be Americans?

'Abdu'l-Baha made many statements that a Baha'i can be a Baha'i-Christian, or a Baha'i-Freemason, or a Baha'i-Muhammadan (His words, not mine), and that anyone who believes in loving their fellow man is a Baha'i already. Sorry.....you have only convinced me MORE than one does NOT need to be a member of the AO in order to be a Baha'i.

Darrick Evesnon

brettz9 wrote:The fact that the Administration started to crystallize as time went on, does not mean that it was not always intended for Baha'is to be a part of it:
It should be remembered by every follower of the Cause that the system of Bahá'í administration is not an innovation imposed arbitrarily upon the Bahá'ís of the world since the Master's passing, but derives its authority from the Will and Testament of `Abdu'l-Bahá, is specifically prescribed in unnumbered Tablets, and rests in some of its essential features upon the explicit provisions of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas. It thus unifies and correlates the principles separately laid down by Bahá'u'lláh and `Abdu'l-Bahá, and is indissolubly bound with the essential verities of the Faith. To dissociate the administrative principles of the Cause from the purely spiritual and humanitarian teachings would be tantamount to a mutilation of the body of the Cause, a separation that can only result in the disintegration of its component parts, and the extinction of the Faith itself.

(Shoghi Effendi, World Order of Baha'u'llah, 5)

The Baha'i Writings urge us to put into practice the administration and to not criticize their decisions or leaders:

"The Guardian believes that a great deal of the difficulties from which the believers ... feel themselves to be suffering are caused by their neither correctly understanding nor putting into practice the administration. They seem--many of them--to be prone to continually challenging and criticizing the decisions of their Assemblies. If the Bahá'ís undermine the very leaders which are, however immaturely, seeking to coordinate Bahá'í activities and administer Bahá'í affairs, if they continually criticize their acts and challenge or belittle their decisions, they not only prevent any real rapid progress in the Faith's development from taking place, but they repel outsiders who quite rightly may ask how we ever expect to unite the whole world when we are so disunited among ourselves!"

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, October 26, 1943: Ibid., pp. 34-35)

Besides the first passage above, which besides being quite adamant, in the context of the many passages emphasizing the importance of the Administration, there are such passages as the following (note: one cannot be an elector unless one is a member of the community):

"Bahá'í community life thus makes it a duty for every loyal and faithful believer to become an intelligent, well-informed and responsible elector..."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, February 4, 1935)

"It can therefore be seen that it is the duty of every Bahá'í in such a situation to take part in the joint declaration...."

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of New Zealand, October 12, 1969)

His brotherly advice to you, and to all loyal and ardent young believers like you, is that you should deepen your knowledge of the history and of the tenets of the Faith, not merely by means of careful and thorough study, but also through active, whole-hearted and continued participation in all the activities, whether administrative or otherwise, of your community. The Bahá'í community life provides you with an indispensable laboratory, where you can translate into living and constructive action the principles which you imbibe from the Teachings. By becoming a real part of that living organism you can catch the real spirit which runs throughout the Bahá'í Teachings. To study the principles, and to try to live according to them, are, therefore, the two essential mediums through which you can ensure the development and progress of your inner spiritual life and of your outer existence as well. May Bahá'u'lláh enable you to attain this high station, and may He keep the torch of faith for ever burning in your heart!

(On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, 2 November 1933 to an individual believer)

One can claim to be a Baha'i without joining the Administrative Order, but our Writings are quite clear about what that should entail.

warm regards,
Brett

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:25 am

Well, I didn't see any disclaimers in the quotations about "for those who joined". It talked simply about "believers".

Here's another one:

"Regarding the very delicate and complex question of ascertaining the qualifications of a true believer, I cannot in this connection emphasize too strongly the supreme necessity for the exercise of the utmost discretion, caution and tact, whether it be in deciding for ourselves as to who may be regarded a true believer or in disclosing to the outside world such considerations as may serve as a basis for such a decision. I would only venture to state very briefly and as adequately as present circumstances permit the principal factors that must be taken into consideration before deciding whether a person may be regarded a true believer or not. Full recognition of the station of the Forerunner, the Author, and the True Exemplar of the Bahá'í Cause, as set forth in 'Abdu'l-Bahá's Testament; unreserved acceptance of, and submission to, whatsoever has been revealed by their Pen; loyal and steadfast adherence to every clause of our Beloved's sacred Will; and close association with the spirit as well as the form of the present day Bahá'í administration throughout the world -- these I conceive to be the fundamental and primary considerations that must be fairly, discreetly and thoughtfully ascertained before reaching such a vital decision."
(Shoghi Effendi, Baha'i Administration, p. 90, emphasis added)

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:31 am

Hi, all. I'm afraid I haven't visited this forum for about a week (thanks sincerely to Brett and British_bahai for keeping it moderated).

I'd like to close this thread, I think this discussion leads nowhere else but to trouble.

Thanks, -Jonah

Return to “Discussion”