Contradiction?

All research or scholarship questions
Zazaban

Contradiction?

Postby Zazaban » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 pm

Baha'u'llah says that he was but a normal human, but Abd 'Ul 'Baha says that He was always aware (or something of that nature).

Could somebody explain this.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Irish

Postby Irish » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:35 am

Hi Zazaban,

we can't say they are a contradiction just because on the surface they seem to be. There inner meaning is in complete harmony. The logical explanation here is that we when Baha'u'llah says that he is just a normal human he is speaking from that perspective, but the Manifestation of God has several aspects. At other times he says "I am God", at others "I am but a servant of God" and at others "I am the Messenger of God". This is explained in Some Answered Questions by the Master and in the Kitab-i-Iqan by Baha'u'llah himself.

From the human perspective, it may be possible that Baha'u'llah only gradually realized who He really was as he grew older. Check out "Symbol and Secret" by Christopher Buck for a scholarly treatment of Baha'u'llah's messianic secret in the Kitab-i-Iqan.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah, there are apparent contradictions and actual contradictions. There exist no actual contradictions in the Baha'i Writings, for how could 'Abdu'l-Baha contradict Baha'u'llah when He ('Abdu'l-Baha) was infallible in matters of the Faith, and when the Spirit of Baha'u'llah was watching over Him? Of course this is one Baha'i response.

By the way, Zazaban, it would be extremely helpful if you'd provide quotations so that we can see the actual wording for ourselves.

Good question by the way.

Return to “Discussion”