POW! Conference at Brighton Creek Conference Center

Conferences, meetings, publications
Beholdacandle

POW! Conference at Brighton Creek Conference Center

Postby Beholdacandle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:30 pm

POW! (People for One World)  is a conference that's in the planning stages to be at Brighton Creek Conference Center in Washington State, USA in August.  This year is the 40th anniversary of the 1969 YOW!  (Youth for One World) conference in Wilmette that was one of the immediate precursors for the huge numbers of enrollments led by teams of youth doing direct teaching in the '70's.  I thought it would be great for some of the people who were involved with the YOW! conference to get together one more time at Brighton Creek.  We could have a hootenanny on the lawn and sing lots of folk songs, get reacquainted with each other and the development of our Baha'i lives over the years, we could have inspiring talks by people who are still probably some of the most dynamic Baha'is around.  Unfortunately, people like Dan Jordan and Magdalene Carney, and Phil Lucas have passed away, while others like Glenford Mitchell are quite aged.  Still, I would love to hear Sandee English or Chris Ruhe lead us in some folk songs.

It seems to me that we are entering a similar stage in our growth of the Faith.  I think I need to find enough people who are interested in this conference to make it worth while, so I need to publicize it.

BritishBahai

Re: POW! Conference at Brighton Creek Conference Center

Postby BritishBahai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Beholdacandle wrote:POW! (People for One World) is a conference that's in the planning stages to be at Brighton Creek Conference Center in Washington State, USA in August. This year is the 40th anniversary of the 1969 YOW! (Youth for One World) conference in Wilmette that was one of the immediate precursors for the huge numbers of enrollments led by teams of youth doing direct teaching in the '70's. I thought it would be great for some of the people who were involved with the YOW! conference to get together one more time at Brighton Creek. We could have a hootenanny on the lawn and sing lots of folk songs, get reacquainted with each other and the development of our Baha'i lives over the years, we could have inspiring talks by people who are still probably some of the most dynamic Baha'is around. Unfortunately, people like Dan Jordan and Magdalene Carney, and Phil Lucas have passed away, while others like Glenford Mitchell are quite aged. Still, I would love to hear Sandee English or Chris Ruhe lead us in some folk songs.

It seems to me that we are entering a similar stage in our growth of the Faith. I think I need to find enough people who are interested in this conference to make it worth while, so I need to publicize it and find ways to make it worth while.

I understand that there will be a national youth conference in Washington DC this fall. Why not let us older folks get with this renewal of spirit as well?
Best thjing to do is to raise this with your LSA. If there is no LSA in the locality where you live, then it would be a good idea to contact the dept. of the secretariat at the US NSA.

That's what i'd do if i were you...

They have more power than you (e.g. they can include this info in any newsletters which are emailed or posted out, so you'll get a lot more publicity). :smile:
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Beholdacandle

Re: POW! Conference at Brighton Creek Conference Center

Postby Beholdacandle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Dear BritishBaha'i,
Yes, local spiritual assemblies can be very valuable in a great variety of situations, and I thank you for the suggestion. The situation of Brighton Creek Conference Center is that it is not under the jurisdiction of a local assembly, rather it is a newly owned property acquired by the US National Assembly and run by an appointed board of which I am a member. This conference center is not a Baha'i School in the sense of other ones like, for example, Bosch Baha'i School in California. It is a unique Baha'i center open to the general public (as soon as the imminent acquisition of permits is accomplished) and operating as a non-profit public/private organization. "Our mission is to serve as a regional center for the spiritual, educational, and cultural advancement of humanity."

I wish to explore ways to publicize our efforts to have this POW! conference in addition to regular channels. I am in particular exploring blogs as an alternative to traditional announcements. The Youth for One World participants from 1969 and 1970 are now scattered to pioneer posts all over the world. I would like them to have notice of this conference so that they can participate.

By the way, in my initial post on this matter, I mistakenly mentioned that there might be a national Baha'i youth conference in the USA. I assumed it was a Baha'i event because a Baha'i youth mentioned that he was going to a national youth conference this fall when we were at a holy day celebration. It turns out not to be Baha'i sponsored. It is an honor for this youth to be selected to go to this national youth leadership conference in Washington DC.

Return to “Announcements”