Two questions for school: Baha'i women dress; Baha'i foods

All research or scholarship questions
Made4TVMovie

Two questions for school: Baha'i women dress; Baha'i foods

Postby Made4TVMovie » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Hello, my names Katie and I'm 16.
I am currently in my schools World Religions class, and for our final we must teach the class about a certain religion. The final is due tomorrow and I am looking for a few questions, but I cannot find them!
Obviously I have picked your religion, Baha'i because I thought it was very interesting. BUT I have a few questions. I am sorry if these are taken the wrong way, I am only here to learn.

1. For one of the parts of the assigmnet, we must dress like the peopel in our religion would dress like, so: What do women of the Baha'i faith wear? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the internet. I did find one source that says they just dress modestly, and do not wear hijabs to differentiate themselves for Islamic people. Is this true?

and

2. Are there are specialty foods that you could give me the ingredients and how to cook it ? This is not a mandatory part of the final, but I was thinking about making something.

onepence

Postby onepence » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:52 pm

Katie

I am pleased that you have found your way to this site and hope that you may visit us often even after you finish your class project.

As to your questions
I am not sure I will be of much help
but I shall try
and
God willing
others may come to our assistance soon

You ask about dress
and spefically about women's dress {code}

in searching The Kitáb-i-Aqdas
The Most Holy Book by Baha'u'llah
the following part was found in the section
SYNOPSIS AND CODIFICATION

http://darrenhiebert.com/eBahai/html/aqd.html

To be the essence of cleanliness:
To wash one's feet
To perfume one's self
To bathe in clean water
To cut one's nails
To wash soiled things in clean water
To be stainless in one's dress
To renew the furnishings of one's house

///////
side note ..... dress must be considered in entirty of the individual not just simple mechanics of the "warp and woof" of fabric
////////

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SAB/ ... ight#pg253

All things are now made new. Arts and industries have been reborn, there are new discoveries in science, and there are new inventions; even the details of human affairs, such as dress and personal effects—even weapons—all these have likewise been renewed. The laws and procedures of every government have been revised. Renewal is the order of the day.

//////////
side note: ... free to chose many things ... traditional clothes of various cultures ... from silk robes to lion cloth ... the art of "tailoring" is a valuable trade
////////

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/HW/hw ... hlight#gr1

"The comb, too, have I given thee that thou mayest dress My raven locks, and not lacerate My throat"

/////
side note ..... one of my favorite passages ..... i would like to think that the "locks" of various individuals will be adorned with a "dress" of the finest materials and fashioned to please Baha'u'llah
/////

many things are being left unsaid
but i hope you find the quotes provided
and personal notes attached of some assitance to you
further more you might chose to search for such words as
"cloth" "fashion" "dress" "clothes" and such at the following web sites

http://reference.bahai.org/en/
http://bahai-library.com/
http://www.bahai.org/ sidenote...does not offer cache easy/ hard to extract specific

/////////

final thought ... there is mention of "appropriate" dress within the Baha'i writings, but the exact quote eludes me at this time ... something like we should not wear our best {sunday} {{school}} clothes to paint nor should we wear dirty "robes" to our House of Worship instead we must be "attired" at all times modestly and appropriately.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

as to the thought of Baha'i food ...... not much has been written ........
you can search for "persian rice" on google ....... bread & onions ...... cheese but not alcholic wine *smile* ...... fruits,nuts,grains ..... ...... food, imho,is more about "nourishment" {{of the soul [body]}} than just the physical form

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

a broader more dramatic and hands on demonstration of the tangleable aspects of the Baha'i Faith would be a calendar

a simple version would be as follows

according to the Baha'i writings a day is accounted from one sunset to the next sunset

a week is seven consecutive days

a month is 19 consecutive days

there are 19 months in a year

a year is from one "spring vernal equinox" to the next "spring vernal equinox"

Ayyam-i-HA, a time for gift giving and charity, is always added between the 18th and the 19th month and consists of 4 and sometimes 5 consecutive days with the fifth day sometimes being added as a "leap" day to ensure the major parts of the Baha'i calendar remains a solarly fixed {see spring equinox} calendar

each week day, month, day within the month, and year is named

19 consecutive years makes a Vahid

19 Vahids makes a Kull-i-Shay { in other words a 361 yr cycle is one Kull-i-Shay }

there is no upper limit to the number of Kull-i-Shay.

/////////////////

a simple chart

that uses the sunset of the Gregorian calendar
you must fill in the blanks

splendour mar 20 21 22 23 24 ... A 2 3 4 5 6 7 apr
Glory apr 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 25 26 apr
Beauty apr 27 28 29 30 M 2 3 4 ...... 13 14 15 may
Grandeur may 16 17 ...... j 2 3 jun
Light jun 4 ...
Mercy jun 23
Words JUL 12
Perfection jul 31
Names aug 19
Might sep 7
Will sep 26
Knowledge oct 15
Power nov 3
Speech nov 22
Questions dec 11
Honor dec 30
Sovereignty jan 18
Dominion feb 6
Ayaam-i-Ha feb 25 26 27 28 ... 29 feb Ayyam-i-Ha
Loftiness mar 1 2 3 4 5 .... 16 17 18 19 mar

then add the same sequence Splendour Glory Beauty etc ...
starting under the "1" of mar

s g b
p l e
l o a
e r u
n y t
d y
o
u
r

///////////////////////

anyway
i pray that you do well in school, with your school project

please visit this website ...
anytime/allthetime/often

and perchance we may enjoy building our friendship

a person of oneness
Dean Hedges

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:38 am

Dear Made4TVMovie,

First, welcome! We're glad to assist you if we can...

To get to your questions...

There is no specifically prescribed dress for Baha'i women (or men). Onepence provided some further quotations on this, and as you can see, there really is nothing specific besides being clean and modest. "Beauty" is considered an attribute of God, so there is nothing wrong with being beautfiul--rather, it is encouraged as long as it is modest. And Baha'is are also encouraged to preserve good aspects of their own culture, so there is not only one style of dress that Baha'is may wear. In fact, we see these differences as beautiful and that's why each culture can preserve its own form of dress (as long as it is modest) when they become Baha'is.

As far as hijab, Baha'is, you are correct, do not wear hijab--unless they live in a country where not wearing one would greatly disturb the local people. There is actually a heroine in our Faith named Tahirih who was a pioneer in the Middle East for taking off the veil in public. And this did announce that a New Day had come for the peoples of the world--one in which women would become seen as equals with men. However, although that time period was to show a break from the past, the Baha'i teachings try to introduce changes now gradually. And, again, the Baha'i Faith still tries to uphold many traditional morals as well. Although the hijab may have protected women in the past, it has only become a hindrance to progress nowadays and we expect that it will be gradually abandoned. So, it is not merely to be different, but to follow our own beliefs that women should not be kept back that--if there is a choice--Baha'i women do not wear the veil. Of course, we can also argue that the too-free Western dress also ends up being unfair for women who end up being judged by their bodies when they wear provocative clothing.

As far as your second question, as with dress (and music, etc.), each culture or individual may be different as far as their foods. There are no specialty Baha'i foods. The Baha'i Faith is much more a belief that can be adopted by people from all around the world than it is tied to just one race or group of people. We are united more by our basic ideas about where humanity is going and what we need to do to get there better than by superficial traditions. That doesn't mean there isn't a kind of "Baha'i culture" that is unique to a country or to a time period, but the teachings themselves are quite flexible. And as you may have studied, we do have some basic common Baha'i practices like a daily obligatory prayer. But even with this, one can choose to say a long prayer or a short prayer.

If you wanted to cook something for your final though, maybe (if you had the energy!) you could cook a few dishes from different countries, since Baha'i gatherings often have dishes from different countries or ethnicities, since the people who come to Baha'i meetings often come from different places.

best wishes to you and let us know if there may be anything else we can do,
Brett

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:43 pm

try making "Fesenjan," it's not a Baha'i food, but many Baha'is are Persians so you will sometimes see this food... It is unlike anything you have tasted but it's great. Here's the link: <http://www.recipezaar.com/91809>. I actually find that Fesenjan is usually made too sweet, especially since you are using pomegranate syrup, so 2 tbs of sugar is probably not necessary...Also if you think about it this is a very healthy dish (except all the sugar), pomegranate syrup containing many antioxidants, and walnuts have their own special properties, etc...

Return to “Discussion”