Registration now required for posting

All research or scholarship questions
Jonah
Site Admin

Registration now required for posting

Postby Jonah » Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 pm

The spammers win. Anyone can still read the forum, but all users must now register in order to post or reply: go to http://bahai-library.com/forum2/profile ... e=register . You'll need to provide a valid email address in order to confirm your registration.

-Jonah

onepence

Postby onepence » Mon May 15, 2006 11:50 pm

Again
Thank you for your services
Keep your friends
close
etc

oneness
dh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:07 pm

seems like it wasn't as effective as maybe most people would have liked it to be, with all these bots posting new topics and providing links to their ignominious websites

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 pm

May I suggest having to type in one of those code things to register?
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Unfortunately, that is not part of the current phpBB package we are now using. Not sure if the new version will have it or not.

That would not be easy to program ourselves, I'm quite sure.

Also, the visually impaired are not all that happy with such requirements either.

One possible alternative (such as is used for those making comments on the manual at http://php.net ) is to ask a simple question, like "what is two plus six" or, even less hackable, "what is another word for the day after today".

This spamming is yet another reason pointing to the need for:
1) A representative global government (maybe they will make a fixed law against such spam)
2) The Bahá'í Faith (and moral education with the influence of religion). No matter how clever we are in defending against spam, the war will only escalate with more sophisticated spamming techniques (of course, we nevertheless need to take action against it in the meantime) as long as society has such a limited interest in moral development.

best wishes,
Brett

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:53 am

The code thing you mention (technically it's called a "captcha") would be a good idea, yes. But in the long run, simply deleting the spam is often easier than installing some of the counter-measures. And between Brett and I, we're checking the forum every few hours, so it's rare that spam is left on for long...

-Jonah

Return to “Discussion”