Ahmad Sohrab, Julie Chanler, New Historical Society, Caravan

All research or scholarship questions
wjhonson

Ahmad Sohrab, Julie Chanler, New Historical Society, Caravan

Postby wjhonson » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:29 am

I'm looking for citations to Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, Julie Chanler, the New Historical Society, the Caravan of East and West.

Whatever works discuss or cites these people and organizations and hopefully with links so I can look at the primary materials myself.

Thanks.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:44 am

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 am

Some of the Sohrab material is indeed very valuable history, e.g. his narrative of his tour across America delivering the Tablets of the Divine Plan, or his diary of Abdu'l-Baha, "Abdu'l-Baha in Egypt."

Unfortunately I don't know how you could find them. They're probably not in libraries (too obscure; though I did find a couple at the University of Toronto library), and they're very expensive on abe.com (I've seen them for over $250). You have to actually go to USBNC archives and photocopy them yourself, which is what I did about 10 years ago. I won't be able to provide any of these materials on the Baha'i Library website, though -- even if I were so inclined, my photocopies-of-photocopies would never scan well.

The New History Society seemed to devolve and run out of steam with the usual factional infighting, as small movements tend to. There's a great history of the movement by, I think, Peter Smith, in one of the Studies in the Babi and Baha'i History volumes. I'm away from my library at the moment, else I'd give a full citation. But this Google search did turn up some other references to Peter Smith discussions of the period: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22peter ... ler+sohrab

-Jonah

Return to “Discussion”