Ridvan election suspension ???

All research or scholarship questions
onepence

Ridvan election suspension ???

Postby onepence » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:10 am

Just curious ... had a wild thought ...

is it possible for The Universal House of Justice to

suspend the elections of the LSA's ????

I mean as a whole ... total shut down ... what is is what is and there would be no more ....

I mean it sort of makes sense to me ...

I mean like if The Universal House of Justice knew of the eminent destruction of its physical self {at the hands of the covenant breakers}
would it not try to protect Her believers ?

I think so ... We know of at least one LSA being dismantled {Los Angles}.

WOW ... if something like what I am thinking happens its like
shite & sunni all over again ... ....

oh well ... any thoughts ?

think you can respect the current Adminstrative Order if it gets frozen.

It also brings up questions about the role of the Continental Counselors?

Interesting huh ... what are the chances

oneness
dh

MatW.

Postby MatW. » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:46 am

If this occurs then God allowed. If its control the God allowed the control. There are safeguards to truth in the covenant. They are specifically black and white. But still if God wills it. We do not attempt to understand his plan just to follow it.

But this is just my view. And others may have a more accurate answer.

Mat

onepence

Postby onepence » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 am

MatW. wrote:If this occurs then God allowed. If its control the God allowed the control. There are safeguards to truth in the covenant. They are specifically black and white. But still if God wills it. We do not attempt to understand his plan just to follow it.

But this is just my view. And others may have a more accurate answer.

Mat

God indeed allows both sinners and saints
thus showing how saints can carry light and sinners carry darkness.

MatW

Postby MatW » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Well only God can say which is light and which is darkness.

Sometimes our own opinion of horrible atrocity turns into a beam of salvation. Jesus and his death pay tribute to that.

Mat

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Dear Dean,

It is possible that there can be a temporary disruption of the administration:
"Every institution of this divinely created Order is one more refuge for a distraught populace; every soul illumined by the light of the sacred Message is one more link in the oneness of mankind, one more servant ministering to the needs of an ailing world. Even should the Baha'i communities, in the years immediately ahead, be cut off from the World Centre or from one another--as some already have been--the Baha'is will neither halt nor hesitate; they will continue to pursue their objectives, guided by their Spiritual Assemblies and led by the Counsellors, the members of the Auxiliary Boards and their assistants...."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to the Baha'is of the world, November 3, 1980)

But is is only in rare cases that the institutions are dismantled--either due to political circumstances or to serious problems in its function.

As the Supreme Authority, the Universal House of Justice naturally has the prerogative to take action as it sees fit. Their own constitution states:

The Universal House of Justice has the right to review any decision or action of any Spiritual Assembly, National or Local, and to approve, modify or reverse such decision or action. The Universal House of Justice also has the right to intervene in any matter in which a Spiritual Assembly is failing to take action or to reach a decision and, at its discretion, to require that action be taken, or itself to take action directly in the matter.

(Constitution of the Universal House of Justice, Article VII)

and that they are:

to be responsible for ensuring that no body or institution within the Cause abuse its privileges or decline in the exercise of its rights and prerogatives;

(ibid, p. 5)

The same sentence also states, however, that they are "to found institutions". The building up of administrative institutitons is fundamental to the building of the Kingdom of God on earth. Although we can imagine temporary disruptions necessitated by inner or outer circumstances, our Writings assure us that our institutions will only continue to grow so that they can serve their purpose as the nucleus of the future Bahá'í World Commonwealth. I would suggest reading the letters of Shoghi Effendi in "The World Order of Bahá'u'lláh", if you haven't already, as they discuss this process.

Despite having final authority, the House of Justice has decentralized procedures for local elections to national and local Assemblies (see the Constitution of the Universal House of Justice and the By-Laws of the NSA of the U.S. and the Local By-Laws), however, so a disruption at the World Centre should not necessitate a disruption of elections elsewhere.

As far as Shite and Sunni, this is quite, quite different--for two reasons.

1) We are never never to engage in religious fighting. The Universal House of Justice in shepherding us, is a protection for us. Unlike past religions, our own will not disintegrate into contending factions--and they would certainly need to be contending in order to go against such a fundemental Bahá'í tenet. The history of the Faith is a testimony to this capacity for a peaceful response to aggression.
2) Unlike the Successorship following Muhammad (or any previous Prophet), Bahá'u'lláh in writing guaranteed that the Faith would be protected from schism. Although we believe that Muhammad did appoint a rightful successor (Ali), no guarantee was made, and his authority was thus, to most eyes, usurped. In the Kitáb-i-Íqán, Bahá'u'lláh explains how the oppression spoken of in the Gospel to precede the Second Coming referred to this most terrible confusion as to where to turn after the Prophet's passing. We believe that this is the Day which will not be followed by a night, so we do not need to fear such happenings in this new Dispenation of God's Faith.

Although trials certainly can and will increase, we envision an ultimately bright future--not only for the far future, but as a steadily growing process, which though it may have temporary setbacks, cannot be stopped. The institutions--while only themselves vehicles--are the incarnations of Bahá'u'lláh's Spirit and Will revealing Itself to the people of the world and thus cannot be thought to be removable from the picture of the Faith. That is why our Writings urge Bahá'ís to settle in different places within their country or around the world--so that each city and even town and village may have these institutions as a beacon of hope and guidance amidst a darkening world situation.

best wishes,
Brett

onepence

Postby onepence » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:54 pm

brettz9 wrote:Dear Dean,

It is possible that there can be a temporary disruption of the administration:

best wishes,
Brett

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the reply. I like it when a person, such as yourself, can refrence the Writings from The Universal House of Justice with elegance and ease.

Upon further reflection on the subject, and thanks to the quotes you provided, I now am thinking that perhaps The Universal House of Justice may not suspend Ridvan elections, even under immediate threat of Her physical destruction.

I would say though that if The Universal House of Justice where to be disbanded because of an act of war {directly involved with the covenant breakers}, then the primary duty and responseablity to guide the Baha'i World would fall squarely upon the Americn believers and our NSA, furthermore, I would consider it likely that the NSA then would freeze Ridvan elections, but allow the current administration to remain in effect ...

... all governments have special powers that can be invoked in times of war ...

... in fact I would consider it very possible that the NSA may even voluntarily disband, and order all lsa's within her jurisdiction { ... ehmmm .... ALL LSA's WITHIN HER JURSIDICTION ...} to disband also ... and within her thoughts one could find the following specific line from THE KITAB-I-AQDAS

"Offer up, O people of Bahá, your substance, nay your very lives, for his assistance."

now granted this is all just pure speculation on the part of the believer Dean Hedges, but none the less it is interesting speculation given the fact that the current physical form of The Universal House of Justice appears to be under constant threat of nucleur annihaltion because She resides within the borders of Israel.

Personally I do not know if the NSA of America has determined whether or not She can survive without the Universal House of Justice, but personally, for me, I know I would have a hard time without Her.

One finally thought about all this ... if the NSA of America were to disband it is likely that the covenant breakers would be like ... nanana boo boo told ya so ... so there you guys got/get what you deserve ... so there now we are in power ... so there we are the true baha'is .... so there now all you guys who called yourselves Baha'i gotta to follow our laws and our path ... so there ........ ..... ..... ...... ...... and then its like no matter what good intentions the lsa'a/nsa's across the world may have, {a thousand years is a very very long time} eventualy all lsa'a/nsa'a, no matter how good of intentions, that didn't follow the lead of America, all of those would be eventually could be counted among the covenant breakers.

"Such a king is the very eye of mankind"
K84

oneness
dh

SLKRR9

Postby SLKRR9 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:01 pm

Onepence,

I'm really not sure where you are going with this. If the Universal House of Justice were destroyed in a war, no NSA would be forced to take charge of the rest of the countries, nor would it have the authority to do so. A new election would simply be called and 9 new members elected to serve on the Universal House of Justice. Just as when all the members the NSA of Iran were kidnapped and executed in the early '80s. The Bahá'ís simply elected a new one.

Peace,
Simeon

onepence

Postby onepence » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:06 pm

SLKRR9 wrote:Onepence,

I'm really not sure where you are going with this. If the Universal House of Justice were destroyed in a war, no NSA would be forced to take charge of the rest of the countries, nor would it have the authority to do so. A new election would simply be called and 9 new members elected to serve on the Universal House of Justice. Just as when all the members the NSA of Iran were kidnapped and executed in the early '80s. The Bahá'ís simply elected a new one.

Peace,
Simeon

Simeon,

Your response is exactly where I am going with this.

Who says any NSA has an Authority to do anything other than what the Universal House of Justice has decided?

As far as I know The Universal House of Justice has not made it known what to do in case of Her physical destruction, and without written Authority to hold another election I personally do not see it happening.

As far as the example of the NSA of Iran goes, fair enough, but not good enough, for how can any NSA be compared to The Universal House of Justice?

In relationship to America and her NSA surely I do not need to cite chapter and verse, for most here reading this note knows of Her destiny {mind you now I personally do not think the Writings indicate that America has any distint geographical boundaries, this leads to some pretty wild thoughts about the role of the future NSA of America} and because America's destiny is so great and the Writings clearly indicate that She is to take the lead in all things {and mind you I personally think the American NSA has done, is doing, and will continue to lead in every direction you can imagine, and suffers greatly from lack of support and has to and has endured uncountable wrongs inflicted upon Her by the covenant breakers}, so that, as I mentioned before, She may decide that the Universal House of Justice can not become re-elected {{{{ for whatever reasons She may decide like no living Guardian or unable to return to the Holy Land or due to war, not all NSA's could be present {{ and notice I think how the Universal House of Justice was delayed her own election once due to war}}}}}}

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ......

for whatever resaons I think it is entirely possible that the Baha'i Faith may change direction from building up the LSA's to building up the kings ........ ..... ...... ..... ........

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo .......

where I am going with this is to prepare those who are currently reading this note and those who will in the future be reading this note that the possiblty exists that The Universal House of Justice could be physically destroyed and that at least one individual, namely myself, has expressed his view that She can not/would not be re-elected, and furthermore that this same individual whole heartly supports whatever decission the NSA of America makes in not only any future decissions, but also all past and present decissions She has made.

Shalom

a person of oneness,
Dean Hedges

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:24 am

I'm still unclear on your view and this is why:

Who says any NSA has an Authority to do anything other than what the Universal House of Justice has decided?

As far as I know The Universal House of Justice has not made it known what to do in case of Her physical destruction, and without written Authority to hold another election I personally do not see it happening.

Here you say that no NSA has the authority to do anything that the House has not decided. You seem to conclude that if the House has given written authority to call an election, it can't be called.

But then:

She [the American NSA] may decide that the Universal House of Justice can not become re-elected {{{{ for whatever reasons She may decide like no living Guardian or unable to return to the Holy Land or due to war, not all NSA's could be present {{ and notice I think how the Universal House of Justice was delayed her own election once due to war}}}}}}

(The House never delayed its own election - in 2003 there was no convention held, but all ballots were cast by mail and the election occured at the normal Ridvan date.)

But if no NSA has authority to do something the House hasn't said, then no NSA has the authority to halt elections and takeover the other NSAs!! Assuming that no by-election could be held to replace the membership at the earliest possible date, you still have this written instruction from the House:

[quote=Constitution of the Universal House of Justice]An election of the Universal House of Justice shall be held once every five years unless otherwise decided by the Universal House of Justice, and those elected shall continue in office until such time as their successors shall be elected and the first meeting of these successors is duly held.[/quote]

So, even in the most extreme case, you would have at most five years until the next regularly scheduled election which shall be held unless otherwise decided by the House (NOT by an NSA).

If this issue is really troubling you, I suggest writing to the House and asking if they have a procedure in place for an eventuality such as you describe. It is quite possible that they already do.

Peace,
Simeon

onepence

Postby onepence » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 am

this topic is not troubling to me.

I have already stated my view that whatever the NSA of America decides
is a ok with me.

I have also already stated my position that others should also follow the lead of NSA of America.

I did bring this subject up to the forefront so that positions like Simeon
would also be known, because the scenario I have layed out, ie the physical destruction of The Universal House of Justice may lead to very harsh debate and misunderstandings.

Again, as always, I urge all believers to folllow not only the Law but also the spirit of the Law, and if that means following the example that the NSA of America sets forth then so be it.

I would also like to remind the believers that. as far as I know, only 1 NSA, namely France, backed the covenant breaker Mason Remey in his bid to be The Guardian after our Beloved Guardian based away.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:15 am

Onepence,

The National Spiritual Assembly shall have exclusive jurisdiction and authority over all the activities and affairs of the Bahá'í Faith throughout its area....It shall furthermore represent its national Bahá'í community in relation to other national Bahá'í communities and to the Universal House of Justice.

(Section III.2 of the Constitution of the Universal House of Justice)

Based on the above, I think it is made clear that no NSA has jurisdiction over any other.

You are correct that America has been described as having a special destiny. The believers in North America have already supplied many pioneers throughout the world and helped raise up institutions in many countries. It is in this vein of service that America's destiny should be considered, not in violating the basic principle of self-governance (or worse, condescension about the abilities of others) enshrined not only in the charter of the United Nations, but also in Bahá'í administration.

One of the striking developments of this kind that Shoghi Effendi discerned in the Writings he was called on to interpret concerned the future role of the United States as a nation, and, to a lesser extent, its sister nations in the Western hemisphere. His foresight is all the more remarkable when one remembers that he was writing during a period of history when the United States was determinedly isolationist in both its foreign policy and the convictions of the majority of its citizens. Shoghi Effendi, however, envisioned the country assuming an "active and decisive part ... in the organization and the peaceful settlement of the affairs of mankind". He reminded Bahá'ís of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's anticipation that, because of the unique nature of its social composition and political development — as opposed to any "inherent excellence or special merit" of its people — the United States had developed capacities that could empower it to be "the first nation to establish the foundation of international agreement". Indeed, he foresaw the governments and peoples of the entire hemisphere becoming increasingly oriented in this direction.

(Century of Light, p. 52)

It lies within the capacity of all people, as they become progressively educated and convinced that their real development interests are being served by programs proposed to them, to adopt electoral procedures that will gradually refine the selection of their decision-making bodies.

(Propserity of Humankind, no. 59)

onepence

Postby onepence » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:01 am

According to

http://reference.bahai.org/search?max=1 ... ry=America

there are over 1448 refrences to America.

at this present moment I do not have the time nor the patience to
justify my own personal thoughts with exact quotes from our Writings
but suffice it to say, if, and that is a mighty big if, if the scenario we are discussing in this thread happens, there will be plenty of people who will attempt to use our Writings to justify all sorts of behaviour, both from within and from out of our own rank and file.

and as mentioned already within this thread

this may lead to very harsh debate and misunderstandings.

I think it is even possible that the NSA of America could throw Her full weight and force not behind any mere Continental Counsellor but unto The President of The United States of America himself ... now wouldn't that be a hoot ...

What then o ye mighty believers in Baha'u'llah!

people would cry How could America abandon Her responseablity ...
How dare she call the President a "just king"!
Exactly who does She think She is?
There is no way ... blah blah blah ... we will ... blah blah blah ...

but little would these people know of the apostles amogst their midst.

oneness
dh

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:02 am

Future Baha'i timeline:

2007: Seat of UHJ bombed during U.S.-Iranian War, killing all members

2008 Various NSA's fail to organize by-elections due to food riots, radioactive fallout, zombie attacks, etc.

2018 Remnant NSA's attempt to recreate UHJ.

2019 The state-controlled Chinese Baha'i apparatus (now representing the world's largest Baha'i population) insists on "reforming" the delegate system, on the grounds that it is unfair for China to have one delegate while Europe has 50, and America 4. With no obvious authority capable of deciding the matter, discussions break down.

2020. Various NSA's align themselves either with China (and its diplomatic allies in Africa and SE Asia), or the USA, resulting in two separate Baha'i "denominations." Each woos India which insists, as the price of its support, on recognition of its Supreme Secretary as the Tenth Manifestation. Baha'i seances gain popularity in Latin America, until berated by the aforementioned, late members of the UHJ.

2022 Jesus comes back--fights Dajjal (antichrist), vegans, and Oprah in aerial kung-fu combat. World revealed to be computer-generated illusion.

onepence

Postby onepence » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:20 am

"The American continent gives signs and evidences of very great advancement. Its future is even more promising, for its influence and illumination are far-reaching. It will lead all nations spiritually." (ADJ 72)

onepence

Postby onepence » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:52 pm

O ye Cohorts of God! In the moment of catastrophe, find ye patience, resignation and submission.

The more the calamities are intensified the less become ye disturbed. Withstand ye, with perfect assurance, the flood of trials and calamities, through the power of His Highness, the Almighty.

(‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Tablets of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá v1, p. 44.)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:57 am

onepence wrote:"The American continent gives signs and evidences of very great advancement. Its future is even more promising, for its influence and illumination are far-reaching. It will lead all nations spiritually." (ADJ 72)

"The American continent"

I hope you will therefore follow the instructions of the NSA of Brazil when all of this destruction you foresee occurs. After all, it is on the American continent and it will lead all nations spiritually.

:wink:

Sorry, there's just no way that one NSA has any standing over any other. Even if the House of Justice were bombed, that won't happen. But if it did, I hope you will submit to the will of the NSA of Brazil, I mean Bolivia, uh, I mean Canada. You see the problem with this bizarre scenario?

If the House and all its members are destroyed, a new election is called, the NSAs send in their ballots (if it is too dangerous to organize a convention), and the Faith continues on.

Peace,
Simeon

onepence

Postby onepence » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:
onepence wrote:"The American continent gives signs and evidences of very great advancement. Its future is even more promising, for its influence and illumination are far-reaching. It will lead all nations spiritually." (ADJ 72)

"The American continent"

I hope you will therefore follow the instructions of the NSA of Brazil when all of this destruction you foresee occurs. After all, it is on the American continent and it will lead all nations spiritually.

:wink:

Sorry, there's just no way that one NSA has any standing over any other.

Peace,
Simeon

ok ... perhaps a little history lesson is due here ...

If memory serves me correctly the original NSA of America included both Canada And the USA {and all nations within America}, eventually Canada would hold her own elections for an NSA so the original "American Continent", as far as I am concerned, is the north American Continent, ... ... ...

however

and this is where it becomes really really cool

as far as I know our Writings never really define the American Continent ... i mean if a person wants to include South America as part of the American Continent, then I would want to include Europe and Africa and China and Australlia and why not Asia and the Artics as long as I am including Souith America ... ... ..

In all honesty all continents played a significant role in developing the American Continent, therefore I say, and this is just me speaking for myself, all belong to the American Continent ...

but since there is a clearly defined American Continent {notice no "south" in the phrase} at this moment, we must rely on the "American" NSA to "lead all nations spiritually."

ok by me if others want to follow other NSA leads, but I will point out what I think the ultimate outcome of such an event would be, must notablely any NSA that would not follow the lead of the American NSA, and again this is just the viewpoint of myself, would be leadly in an opposite direction and since we know from our Writings that the "American Continent" "will lead all nations spiritually." , well then the oppossite direction of spirtually is materially; therefore I contend that any NSA not following the lead of the American NSA, in only the hypothetical case we are discussing in this thread, is seeking just a purely materially outcome and would be void of any and all spiritually motiviations.

In fact it is interesting to note that in Who is Writing the Future, a document published by the Baha'i International Community, the following quote is given "Spiritual and materialistic conceptions of the nature of reality are irreconcilable with one another and lead in opposite directions."

there is more to say about all this, like how our Guardian foretold that the American community would sustain calamaties far worse than any thing that has been previously experienced by other members of the Baha'i Faith ... ... ... .... can anyone even begin to grasp of what I see and where I am going if things happen like I am speculating in this thread will happpen ... ... ... ... ... it easily could go down like this any place in the world ... i.e. ... ... ... either you are an American Baha'i or your not.

peace be with him that followth the right path

oneness
theapostledean

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:58 am

onepence wrote:

ok by me if others want to follow other NSA leads, but I will point out what I think the ultimate outcome of such an event would be, must notablely any NSA that would not follow the lead of the American NSA, and again this is just the viewpoint of myself, would be leadly in an opposite direction and since we know from our Writings that the "American Continent" "will lead all nations spiritually." , well then the oppossite direction of spirtually is materially; therefore I contend that any NSA not following the lead of the American NSA, in only the hypothetical case we are discussing in this thread, is seeking just a purely materially outcome and would be void of any and all spiritually motiviations.

can anyone even begin to grasp of what I see and where I am going if things happen like I am speculating in this thread will happpen ... ... ... ... ... it easily could go down like this any place in the world ... i.e. ... ... ... either you are an American Baha'i or your not.

oneness
theapostledean

OK, (sigh). This is only your view and your speculation, and I completely disagree with it, but you have the right to your views in the end. You seem pretty fixed on this idea, so in the interest of peace between Bahá'ís, I'll happily let the discussion drop.

"To you be your Way, and to me mine."

Peace,
Simeon

Keyvan

Postby Keyvan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:
onepence wrote:

can anyone even begin to grasp of what I see and where I am going if things happen like I am speculating in this thread will happpen ... ... ... ... ... it easily could go down like this any place in the world ... i.e. ... ... ... either you are an American Baha'i or your not.

oneness
theapostledean

OK, (sigh). This is only your view and your speculation, and I completely disagree with it, but you have the right to your views in the end. You seem pretty fixed on this idea, so in the interest of peace between Bahá'ís, I'll happily let the discussion drop.

"To you be your Way, and to me mine."

Peace,
Simeon

the word you are searching for there is "religion," not "Way" with a capital "W"
in arabic it says "din" which means "religion"
i heard that that "Way" was put there by early translators as if to be a knock on Christianity and the "Way" thats in the Bible

onepence

Postby onepence » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:36 am

official news somewhat related to this discussion

http://news.bahai.org/story.cfm?storyid=434

oneness
dh

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

White House spokesman expresses President's concern over worsening situation of the Baha'is in Iran

http://news.bahai.org/story.cfm?storyid=434

WASHINGTON, 29 March 2006 (BWNS) -- At the 28 March 2006 White House press briefing, Spokesman Scott McClellan said President George Bush is concerned over last week's announcement by a UN official that government persecution of the Baha'is in Iran is intensifying.
In response to a reporter's question, Mr. McClellan called on the Iranian regime to respect the religious freedom of all of its citizens and indicated the President would continue to monitor the situation of the Baha'is very closely. He also said the United States would continue to speak out and urge other countries in the region and the United Nations to defend the rights of the Baha'is and other religious minorities in Iran.

Following is the transcript of the two questions on the situation of the Baha'is in Iran:

Q: Scott, the U.N. Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion and Belief has said that she's highly concerned that the government of Iran is about to increase its persecution of the 300,000 members of the Baha'i faith in that country. What is the President's message to the government of Iran on this issue?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, as you pointed out, she has expressed her concern that the situation with regard to religious minorities in Iran, the Baha'i, is, in fact, worsening. We share those concerns. We call on the regime in Iran to respect the religious freedom of all its minorities, and to ensure that these minorities are free to practice their religious beliefs without discrimination or fear. And we will continue to monitor the situation of the Baha'i -- the Baha'is in Iran very closely, and to speak out when their rights are denied.

Q: What pressure would you urge, perhaps, other countries to put on Iran?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think we will talk with ambassadors of other countries in the region and raise this issue with them, and with their governments. We will continue to speak out and to raise this issue, the treatment of the Baha'is, in the United Nations and other organizations, and to ask all those who have any sort of influence in Tehran to continue to defend the rights of the Baha'i and other religious minorities.

The full transcript of the March 28 White House press briefing is available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings.

-- U.S. Baha'i News

Return to “Discussion”