Writing a will - easy as ABC?

All research or scholarship questions
anonyM

Writing a will - easy as ABC?

Postby anonyM » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:23 am

I realise that it is important for Baha'is to write a will and that the Writings do contain some guidance outlining the essential requirements, but is there anyone that could offer some more detailed guidance? Perhaps even a template or example? Also, once it is completed who do we leave it with?

Sorry to be asking such elementary questions.

BruceDLimber

Re: Writing a will - easy as ABC?

Postby BruceDLimber » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 am

One thing you should NOT do is put the only copy of your will into your safe-deposit box because in some states it's sealed for a time after your death.

Give it to your lawyer, the executor the will names, and/or a trusted friend instead.

And one other tip: keep the burial instructions separate from the will, again because otherwise they might be sealed up until too late.

Bruce

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 am

I just came across a discussion of this at bahaiblog.net/site/2011/07/12/writing-a-bahai-will/ . Rather than copying it, I'll just provide the link.

pilgrimbrent

Postby pilgrimbrent » Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 pm

The Guardian noted that the laws regarding wills are detailed and vary state to state; I don't have the reference, nor time to look it up. It was in his own hand, i.e. in God Passes By or Citadel of Faith, perhaps.
The House of Justice does not want a template for a Baha'i will. Just as with the marriage ceremony, it is not to develop into a ritual. The spirit of the Faith is unity in diversity, not unity in uniformity; that's my opinion of the reason why there is no sample Baha'i will.
In some places in the USA the courts will keep your will for you, in their safe. You provide directions for who has access to it.

Return to “Discussion”