This is an ACADEMIC site

All research or scholarship questions

This is an ACADEMIC site

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:04 pm

While it would be unfair to point out specific posters who have gotten way too subjective in their points of view or instances in which this kind of posting has led to a diversion to the original topics, inasmuch as so many posters and posts could fall under this description, it's important to point out that this is an ACADEMIC site needing discipline. Well, what does that mean? I think that there needs to be some guidelines set here as to how to discuss various topics that goes beyond conventional forum ettiquette. It's very frustrating to post a new topic that you really want to get information on only to have it evolve into a squable between two or more individuals with there own agendas or to turn into a discussion about something completely different. Rule #1 should be STICK TO THE POINT! I'm not suggesting I provide these guidelines, but maybe if we all share or ideas in this thread about what we can do to discuss things in a more civil and objective manner we can unofficially agree on a common set of guidelines. My only suggestion is that no one comment on any suggestion that anyone makes in this thread in any way. Just make your own suggestions and decide for yourself whether someone elses suggestions are good, but don't tell them if you disagree with their methods. Remember, this is unofficial so just let everyone put their offering on the table. Thanks.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:14 pm

it is a very academic thing to challenge Baha'i laws, or attack the UHJ, etc. at least there are a number of "Baha'i academics" that do this. (obviously there are a lot of them that don't)

by the way i thought this was a "general" discussion not an academic one. this site has academic stuff on it as well as primary source material—the Writings, and we are talking about that primary source material (exchanging ideas). what is bad in that? besides we are not all scholars

—Warrior

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:38 pm

I didn't want to point it out Baha'i Warrior, but I had really hoped my requests in this new topic would be honored. I asked that we offer suggestions about how to be more objective and that we not comment on other posts, yet you have decided to offer nothing constructive in terms of a suggestion for guidelines for discussion and, furthermore, you asked a question, which to me suggests you are baiting. Now I feel obligated to comment on what you have said, which is a diversion from my original intention. Your next comment will speak volumes about your intentions. I can only hope that the intention hereafter will be to stick to the point. Thanks.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:54 pm

You write very nicely :wink:

Well I don't want to make anyone upset so I won't say another word :)

—Warrior

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:49 am

this is an academic site

Well, at one time the site was called "Baha'i Academics Resource Library." I abandoned that name because<ol><li>some people misread it as <i>Baha'i Academic<big><b>s'</b></big> Resource Library,</i> with s-apostrophe, i.e. a site for academic people only;</li><li>it was an unwieldy name;</li><li>it started out as scholar's papers only, but had long since outgrown a site used for academic purposes only.</li></ol>I think the more general "Baha'i Library Online" leaves the site's purpose and use more open-ended. Indeed, were the site not so constrained by my own time and resources (a problem which we'll solve by open-sourcing the project), it would now already be a more general-audience site.

-Jonah

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:00 am

Jonah ... I enjoy this site just as it is ... oneness dh

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 pm

academic? Don't make me laugh. Too late... LoL

Psssst...here's a hint: academic sites don't engage in censorship of views they disagree with.

Return to “Discussion”