Direction of Qiblih

All research or scholarship questions
Capernicus

Direction of Qiblih

Postby Capernicus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 pm

I was just wondering how to explain or figure out which direction to turn to say Obligatory prayers. That is, to turn towards the shrine of Baha'u'llah how do you know (where ever you are) which direction? I found one reference that says to calculate the Baha'i qiblih, based on the great-circle path toward Acre, see Brown and Bromberek (2000), but i don't have this source.

AdibM

Re: Direction of Qiblih

Postby AdibM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Here's a site that can help calculate it:

http://www.bcca.org/misc/qiblih/
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

Capernicus

Postby Capernicus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 am

thank you, that helped alot :-P

Ian Mayes

Postby Ian Mayes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:50 pm

I noticed that the distance & bearing to Bahji calculator requires that one knows one's latitude & longitude. I found an online latitude & longitude calculator that can help you in determining that:

http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

Capernicus

Postby Capernicus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanx, yeah its important that we know how to do this correctly but i've never actually heard of how people figure this out and wondered were people actually facing the right direction.

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Greetings, greetings!

Ian Mayes wrote:I noticed that the distance & bearing to Bahji calculator requires that one knows one's latitude & longitude.

Actually, no!

All you need to do is find a globe somewhere, and stretch a string or rubber band from your location to Akka; this forms part of the appropriate great circle.

Whichever direction it leaves your location is the way to face for your prayers.

Piece of cake! :-)

(For example, here in the DC area, the direction is roughly northeast, which coincidentally happens to mean that if you're facing Cape Cod, you're also facing Akka.)

Regards,

Bruce

coatofmanycolours

Postby coatofmanycolours » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Here in Niagara Falls, Canada I turn 50 degrees. That is a little more than northeast.
-Peter

Return to “Discussion”