call Bahaullah a prophet/messenger/founder/prophet-founder??

All research or scholarship questions
British_Bahai

call Bahaullah a prophet/messenger/founder/prophet-founder??

Postby British_Bahai » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:09 am

Hi everyone

I was wondering, what is the CORRECT way of referring to Bahaullah?
As far as i know, in the English language, we can use these terms interchangeably. However, to an Arab-speaking person there are differences, so if we (unknowingly) refer to Bahaullah as something wrong then its not really good...

Are there any guidance letters etc from the Universal house of justice that detail this?

BruceDLimber

Re: call Bahaullah a prophet/messenger/founder/prophet-found

Postby BruceDLimber » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:05 am

Greetings!

british_bahai wrote:Are there any guidance letters etc from the Universal house of justice that detail this?

I've never heard of one, especially one stating correct Arabic terms; but this may well be because there's no particular reason they'd send something like this to the West, anyway!

As to English, He has many titles, and you can see these in the various Baha'i scriptures. His usual titles are well-known and fully acceptable, so unless you have some particular title in mind, I don't think I'd too much worry about exactly what you might choose to call Him.

Best regards, :-)

Bruce

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 am

the reason why im asking is because us westerners use those terms interchangeably.

however, if you tell someone from the middle east that bahaullah is a prophet or prophet-founder, they will translate the word u use in their minds, and if u use the wrong word unknowingly, they might not accept Bahaullah because to them they are waiting for Manifestatino of God, which is different to a prophet...

i hope you see where im coming from now

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 am

From Ivan Loyd:

Dear Friends,

It is a misnomer to refer to Baha'u'llah as the Prophet-Founder of the Baha'i Faith. His station is much loftier than that as The Bab and Baha'u'llah are twin Manifestations heralding a new age called the Baha'i Era or the Age of Fulfillment.

The Prophetic Era, also known as The Adamic Cycle, ended with Muhammad's dispensation. Muhammad then is known as the Seal of the Prophets. This distinct title bestowed upon Muhammad dovetails perfectly into the Baha'i Era if we respect Muhamamd's station. It is understandable then why we run into immediate roadblocks, and hostility from Muslims, if we are not clear on this important distinction, when we refer to Baha'u'llah as a Prophet- Founder. Baha'u'llah is a Manifestaion of God, that is a man who is a sanctified mirror or perfect reflection of God's attributes.

This qoute from Biharu'l-Avar may shed some light on the Bab and Baha'u'llah's station:

"Knowledge is seven and twenty letters. All that the Prophets have revealed are two letters thereof. None thus far have known any besides these two letters. But when the Qa'im shall arise He will cause the remaining five and twenty letters to be made manifest. Consider, He hath declared knowledge to consist of seven and twenty letters and regarded all the prophets from Adam to the Seal (Muhammad) as Expounders of only two letters thereof, and as having been sent down with these two letters. He also saith that the Qa'im will reveal all the remaining five and twenty letters. Behold from this utterence how great and lofty is His station. His rank excelleth that of all the Prophets and His Revelation transendeth the comprehension and understanding of all their chosen ones."

Ivan

Return to “Discussion”