Floor Plans for Samoa and Arc?

All research or scholarship questions
NycjZvEDs

Floor Plans for Samoa and Arc?

Postby NycjZvEDs » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:01 am

I am a Architectural student, doing some research on some baha'i temples. unfortunately I can not find any Floor plans for Samoa temple and Arc (in Haifa) I was wondering if anyone knows a book or a link or something that I can get these informations from.
Please let me know!!!
Thanks,
-Payam

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:11 am

I'm afraid I don't know of anything that fits what you're looking for. But I can provide the links and citations I do have. These are from our <i>Resource Guide for Baha'i Studies,</i> which is now 9 years old, but still the best I have to offer. Click on the links themselves for the formatted versions. Of all the following citations, the two with the most information (including some floor plans, I believe) are Bruce Whitmore's The Dawning Place and R. Jackson Armstrong-Ingram's Music, Devotions, and Mashriqu'l-Adhkár (though the latter only deals with the US temple).

First, from http://bahai-library.com/books/rg/rg.biblio10.html#33 :
'Abdu'l-Bahá discusses the institution of the house of worship in Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, 94-100. Shoghi Effendi lists the various dependencies of the house of worship, as well as those of the Hazíratu'l-Quds, or Bahá'í administrative building, in God Passes By, 339. See also Lights of Guidance. 605-11.

A few articles have been written describing the institution of the Mashriqu'l-Adhkár; a history of the construction of the American house of worship, Bruce Whitmore's The Dawning Place, is available; and R. Jackson Armstrong-Ingram includes a large section on this house of worship in his book Music, Devotions, and Mashriqu'l-Adhkár: Studies in Bábí and Bahá'í History, volume 4. The architectural dimensions of the house of worship are explored in Tom Kubala's "Architectural Implications of the Bahá'í Community," in World Order, 9.1 (Fall 1974). Other relevant citations are in section ¶5. Art, Literature, Music, Architecture.

Second, from http://bahai-library.com/books/rg/rg.biblio03.html#5 :
Besides Music, Devotions, and Mashriqu'l-Adhkár, other articles that discuss architecture and the Faith are Leo R. Zrudlo's "The Missing Dimension in the Built Environment: A Challenge for the 21st Century," in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 3.1 (1990-1991), which asserts the lack of a spiritual dimension in much of modern architecture. Duane L. Herrman's "Houses as Perfect as Possible," in World Order, 26.1 (Fall 1994), and Tom Kubala's "Architectural Implications of the Bahá'í Community," in World Order, 9.1 (Fall 1974), describe the aesthetic styles of the Bahá'í houses of worship. Ugo Giachery's biography of Shoghi Effendi, Shoghi Effendi: Recollections, includes a lengthy section on the Bahá'í World Center and its design considerations and describes at length the actual construction of some of its buildings and gardens. A discussion of the spiritual significances of art, complete with numerous photographs of Bahá'í architecture, has been published by Faríburz Sahbá, an architect and Project Manager for the Mount Carmel Bahá'í Projects, as "Art and Architecture: A Bahá'í Perspective," in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 7:3 (March-June 1997).

-Jonah

Return to “Discussion”